my first headphone
Nov 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gbiagini97

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
Christmas is coming, and I'm finally going to get my very first headphone. My top choices are:
Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm
Fostex t50rp (mayflower version1 mod)
Ultrasone hifi780
Brainwavs hm5
(...)

It would be for home use (gaming and music) and long travels, so I want them comfortable and not too heavy; closed is better, and a great soundstage is a must .

I'm planning to buy an amp/dac, my top choice would be the Fiio e17 because it's portable and good for my needs (such as eq.).

I do like rock, rap, funk, metal and generally fast-moving music. I don't like overpowered bass, but I love bright highs.

My sources are my pc and my iphone (ps. i'm trying to find some good lossless music, what bitrate is better? i really don't know anything about bitrate).

I'd like to buy both headphones and amp/dac with a sub 300€ budget.

Thanks in advance
Gabriele

Nov 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 15
Koss Portapro/Sportapro + Sansa Clip+, listening to that combination right now and absolutely love it sound quality wise, got the Clip+ EQ'd as well, sounds great. Plenty of bass, but allows for mids and highs to show too, officially my best portable audio lineup. And the headphones are being driven directly by the player, no additional amp.

PS: just keep the stock pads on the Portas/Sportas, they sound best with the stock pads.

Now if you have a little bit of a higher budget, Sony MDR-V6/7506 + Sansa Fuze is a good combo too.

Nov 27, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 15
I had Sony MDR-V6/7506 + Sansa Fuze listed as well, but Senn HD202 would be worth a shot though. Not too crazy about the MDR-ZX100 though.

Koss Pro4AAs or Pro4AATs would be worth a shot too, but you'd need a pretty good dedicated headphone amp for them as they're both 250-ohm impedance.

Nov 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 15
First off your amp choice is very good, but a bit over the top for the headphone range you are going into for budget, you might want to consider the E7 (FYI the E11 has terrible tech issues so definitely don't buy it) it's just under $60 USD on Amazon right now, and it's a quality Amp/DAC.
For headphones, for your budget and sound preference I would recommend the Brainwaves, or if you are willing to consider items other than what you listed, I would highly reccomend the Shure SRH940's. An article on buying headphones had this to say; "$220-$300. Removable cable and good isolation. Warm clean sound great for all sorts of music. "
Best of luck, & enjoy your new set up... I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in the mail! >.<

Nov 28, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 15
"I do like rock, rap, funk, metal and generally fast-moving music. I don't like overpowered bass, but I love bright highs."

Gab, that sentence means you must give Grados a listen.

Nov 28, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 15
Thank for your input guys.
I read that shure headphones are quiet flat. I really do like my senns hd201' v-shape.
Grados are interesting but I believe that are pretty unconfortable and don't have a big soundstage...
I'm really looking for the "wow" scream after listening to some cans, soundstage in very important then.
What about the t50rp?
Mayflower electronics mods them for a very cheap price.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #9 of 15
My friend, I don't know of any rap, funk that have good soundstage.

The T50rp have a U shape profile. They are smooth but possibly not as dynamic as others. There are many reviews on them. Google Headphonia and t50rp together. Wow factor is about as subjective as picking one's favorite actress so I will not comment there.

Unless you are willing to spend a few grand, picking headphones is an exercise in compromise. Let people know what you rank first ... soundstage right.

Good luck in your search.

Nov 28, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #10 of 15
My friend, I don't know of any rap, funk that have good soundstage.

The soundstage is for gaming (ps. i don't want gaming cans, I just want to appreciate the great Battlefield 4 audio effects).

Let's focus the main points:
0-closed and full size
1-big soundstage
2-dynamic
3-not overpowering bass, good highs

Nov 28, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #12 of 15
I think I'm not prepared for open headphones... I'm only 16 and my experience is limited to closed cans without amps/dac etc...
They may sound bad to me and because of I can't try them I have to choose it considering only my experience.

Nov 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #13 of 15
I've listened to two open cans, one of which I'm currently listening to -Koss UR40 and Koss Portapro, both experiences have been positive so far, as both sound great. :D

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 15
Gab, check out the AKG K550.

For gaming, I use to use Grado 325is with the big cushions. They are not your thing but they check all your boxes except for closed cans.

I'll stop here. Good luck.

Nov 29, 2013 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 15
Gab, check out the AKG K550.

For gaming, I use to use Grado 325is with the big cushions. They are not your thing but they check all your boxes except for closed cans.

I'll stop here. Good luck.

Really thank you fishyee, I'll definitely check out the k550 and compare it to the Beyers.
I also found a great sale from head-direct, they sell he-300 for 149$...Don't know anything about those cans, but, hey, are Hifiman.
So the final question is: he-300 vs dt770 pro vs k550

Users who are viewing this thread

Back