My first headphone amp
Apr 28, 2004 at 8:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

snoopy007

Head-Fier
Basically had to built an amp after I got my first half decent headphone. (A500)

Spec.
AD823 op amp
Elna Ceraffine 470uf
wima mkp10 0.22uf
TKD 1% resistor
TLE2426
Alps volume control

Will now build a clone using SCR 4.7uf caps to compare sound. I presume that the clone will have a lot warmer sound?

Apr 28, 2004 at 8:39 AM Post #2 of 11
Aww, I love the case mate
cool.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 11
Anyway first pic is of the overall inside. second pic is a close up.

Amp works fine with 4-7 AA batteries. You probably notice that I have 2 spare different op amps in there as well.

The solder used is some silver(4%) added mix by Goot.

Most of the wiring is 24awg made by a small japanese company called miyama densen. Not sure if it is any good for audio, but I think it should be OK. Also, I have that kind of wire in green, purple, grey, yellow, blue, brown and orange. So less likely to make a wiring mistake.

But I am still looking for a better looking volume knob

http://www.geocities.com/limantin/

Apr 28, 2004 at 12:36 PM Post #5 of 11
Nice looking work, Snoopy! Agreed on the cool case as well.
Welcome to head-fi, welcome to DIY, give your wallet to someone else for safekeeping now.
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for the inputs. I also think that the knob is a bit long.

So basically I belive that I have the following choices.

1) find a bigger Knob (sounds rather weird)

2) cut it down to size ( don't have the tools)

3) change the pot.

UfoKillerz:
yes I did used some expensive parts for a cmoy, but I thought what the hell since it is my first amp. However, I am now considering building a tiny version for portable use (besides my clone project) since the AD823 and opa2132 seems to work fine down to 4 x 1.5v. But this time around I will probably use parts from old power supplies. ssop packing of the op amp, surface resistor or 1/4 watt 1% cheapie instead of the expensive TKD.

Apr 29, 2004 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 11
Nice first project! (i wish my first had looked this nice...
rolleyes.gif
)

Those 1/8 jacks are really awesome aren't they! I used them on my PIMETA, and they are so durable!

Regards,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back