My first foray in to customs, help me out please? :)
Jul 5, 2011 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Naim.F.C

1000+ Head-Fier
Ok, so after all the universal IEM hullaballoo, I've decided I want to finally dive in to the world of customs. I guess I like the idea of something so personal, and the upgrade in SQ over the top end universals is alluring.

Now the problem is, there are SO many I am literally confused out of my mind. If my budget is £300-£500 ($400-$800), what would you guys recommend given my tastes below. I don't really want to spend more than I have to, and ideally I want something that doesn't need to be amped. I'd likely be using it straight out of my iPhone 4 (the extra size from portable amps still irks me).

What I want is something that is neutral but still exciting. Sparkly high's, creamy lush mids and deep impactful bass, without being overly warm or losing detail/instrumental separation. If I could get all of the above in a fairly wide soundstage, even better. I don't want anything overly relaxed or laid back, but I also don't want anything too aggressive, lively or harsh. Something in-between is my ideal. If you guys have been following this thread, you'll know what I'm after.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/560881/westone-4-vs-shure-se535-comparison-will-update-as-i-go-along

So what would you guys recommend? Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 8
From all accounts and posts on this site, the 1964's are good custom IEM's, but they just seem to be lacking something in most of the reviews I have seen in here, now most if not all JH Audio reviews have nothing but positive responses, if I was going to fork over $850 squid, I want them to take my breath away, I know my JH16's do that.

For the money, $850 for a quality four way driver custom IEM is petty good, don't forget, this will be a long term investment for you, so you need to enjoy it.

If you are not sure, just Google JH11PRO reviews. Don't forget, it's allot of $ you will be spending, take your time,  and do some research.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:26 PM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
From all accounts and posts on this site, the 1964's are good custom IEM's, but they just seem to be lacking something in most of the reviews I have seen in here, now most if not all JH Audio reviews have nothing but positive responses, if I was going to fork over $850 squid, I want them to take my breath away, I know my JH16's do that.

For the money, $850 for a quality four way driver custom IEM is petty good, don't forget, this will be a long term investment for you, so you need to enjoy it.

If you are not sure, just Google JH11PRO reviews. Don't forget, it's allot of $ you will be spending, take your time,  and do some research.

I appreciate that, but the reason I ask is because the 1964-Q's go for what, $550? Are the JH11 pro's really $300 better? When you say the 1964's lack a little something, could you elaborate?

Many thanks.

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 8
Go up to forum navigation and type in 1964 Quad 4, and you will find a bunch of threads on them, same thing with the JH11's and so forth, don't let me make this decision for you, but if it was my money JH all the way.

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:43 PM Post #7 of 8
Dammit it's such a hard choice. Weighing it all up at the moment but I think based on what I've read, the JH11 pro might be what I'm looking for, even ahead of the JH13 Pro for the slightly warmer audio palette and stronger low bass. I'll decide later. Still thoroughly enjoying my SE535's for the moment. 

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 8
There are a good amount of options out there and of the ones I have heard, there are some real winners.  Check out my thread as I have reviewed many custom IEMs and have just about every manufacturer listed.

I would buy based off sound signature that matches what you want since the resale value is low, but that is where the problem comes into play as few have heard multiple custom IEMs.

From my reading, the Q doesn't have the sparkly highs you are looking for, and in the price range, from what I have read, the JH11 might be a good choice based on sound signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back