My first DSLR, and I have a $1000 budget...
Jun 16, 2008 at 9:29 PM Post #76 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy wow, the seller said that if I arrange for a local pick-up, he'll give me the filters and reverse ring for free!

So of course I arranged the pick-up for tomorrow.
tongue.gif

This looks like a great start indeed...

EDIT: Thanks for that link, Sh0eBoX; I was looking around for that tripod.

He shoots, he scores!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice score on the cheap canon lens.
biggrin.gif
I think I'm going to get an XSi. Gotta sell my XTi though.

Me too, but I'm keeping the XTi, and it will stay Marco rigged. I'm sick of breaking that rig down and putting it back together. So there, I've justified it.

Jun 16, 2008 at 10:53 PM Post #77 of 105
Alright... so I was browsing POTN and decided that I would post up some threads of archive images from the lenses that you should consider, so you can see how capable these lenses are and hopefully narrow down your options based on needs and what you see. enjoy
biggrin.gif

Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 shots:
-= Archive Show me your 50mm f1.8 shots - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Walkaround Lenses:

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro shots:
Show us your Sigma 17-70 pics for the archive. - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 shots:
-= Archive Tamron 17-50 2.8 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Telephoto Lenses:

Canon EF-S 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS shots:
EF-S 55-250 IS - ummm... incredible - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Proto-archive of images from EF-S 55-250/4-5.6 IS - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro shots:
Sigma 70-300 samples please - Canon Digital Photography Forums

These threads are mostly just sample images. If you need more information or comparisons between multiple lenses, just sift through the forum... there's a wealth of information on each of these lenses as they are all quite popular. Good luck!

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #78 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright... so I was browsing POTN and decided that I would post up some threads of archive images from the lenses that you should consider, so you can see how capable these lenses are and hopefully narrow down your options based on needs and what you see. enjoy
biggrin.gif

[

*Sean Connery voice* "I know this thread."

Here's my contribution:
Canon Digital Photography Forums - View Single Post - -= Archive Show me your 50mm f1.8 shots

And one of the coolest photos I've every seen, nifty fifty or not:
Canon Digital Photography Forums - View Single Post - -= Archive Show me your 50mm f1.8 shots

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #79 of 105
Wow, you two were busy while I was out driving.
tongue.gif

Thanks for all the info and reading...now I'm going to pull another all-nighter trying to catch up with all the terms and knowledge.
redface.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #80 of 105
haha good luck with all that. it's a bit of information to take in... just post if you need any more help or recommendations --- this is keeping me entertained as i had taken a leave of absence from POTN for a while, while my other hobbies were burning through my money
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #81 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too, but I'm keeping the XTi, and it will stay Marco rigged. I'm sick of breaking that rig down and putting it back together. So there, I've justified it.

Yeah it's a good idea to have more than 1 bodies. You can dedicated one to something or to wide angle on one and telephoto on another. Mine would be used mainly for product shots.

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #82 of 105
Jun 17, 2008 at 1:43 AM Post #83 of 105
Quote:

Oh boy, I hope you're around to see this soon!

FS: Sigma 17-70 2.8-4.5, B+W 72mm Kaesemann CPL - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Sigma 17-70 used for $305 shipped/paypalled! Really good deal, once again I rarely see these things spring up in the FS forum and if so, usually for $350 or so. Jump on it!

Also, that's a nice CPL... Not sure if you're willing to drop $105 on one yet though, hahaha

I don't know, Shoe. I've ordered from this place (lens and filters) several times. For $25 more, I'd go new:

Sigma Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital EOS (669101)

Jun 17, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #84 of 105
hrm yeah that does seem pretty nice, i didn't think to check this site --- we'll have to see haha.

the only thing about sigmas is their QC isn't entirely consistent... so buying new he would just have to hope he doesn't get a lens with focusing issues. that's an upside to buying used is because you will get a lens that is tried and true with no QC issues.

good find though! shipping is kinda expensive... $18 to las vegas (where i'm at) so probably similar to san jose

ETA: seller just posted some pics of the lens. Looks to be in great shape. Hood has a crack that has been repaired with epoxy though, so if that bugs you then I would say go new. Or else you could probably talk him down a few bucks and get it under $300
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #85 of 105
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Heee - some samples from my nifty fifty:

2556516200_694a7e38de.jpg

2555694207_18c0580658.jpg

2556487214_5e3878a486.jpg

Yes, I have a lot of food-related photos.

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #86 of 105
I'm going crazy over this so much that I'm losing sleep and dreaming about it. So I think today I'm just going to buy it off amazon.com for $760 and call it a (long) day.

Anybody with me? Against me?
tongue.gif

P.S. Oh, and I'm going to order the Canon EF-S 55-200mm telescope lens as well with it, bringing the total to $1,052.79.

P.P.S. Or would to make more sense to choose the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro/Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8?

Jun 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #87 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going crazy over this so much that I'm losing sleep and dreaming about it. So I think today I'm just going to buy it off amazon.com for $760 and call it a (long) day.

Anybody with me? Against me?
tongue.gif

P.S. Oh, and I'm going to order the Canon EF-S 55-200mm telescope lens as well with it, bringing the total to $1,052.79.

P.P.S. Or would to make more sense to choose the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC Macro/Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8?

I'd go with the Tamron unless you really likely telephoto shots. The 17-50 is a better lens in terms of sharpness, anyway, and the covered range is more useful than you might think. Worst case scenario: you purchase it, feel the need for something longer, wait a few months and buy the 55-200 used at a good price.

The Sigma is alright based on reviews I've read; but the constant aperture of the Tamron makes it the better choice in my opinion.

Jun 17, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #89 of 105
Jun 17, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #90 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My first instinct in to also recommend the Tamron 17-50mm, but here's some back and forth on the two:

Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS v Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

Canon EF-S 18-55 IS vs Tamron 17-50 2.8 - Canon Digital Photography Forums

I totally agree with waiting on the longer lens. I have a great 70-200mm. It barely every comes out the bag, but that's just me.

Perhaps. I think the OP should definitely wait to see how the 50 suits him in terms of perspective and workability before he buys a second or third lens. If the guy craves something a bit wider, the 17-50 is an easy recommendation, and if he finds himself moving closer to his subjects or craving a bit more reach, the 55-200 is a decent performer (although, the 70-200 f/4 is an almost indescribably better lens, if the OP has the patience to save up for a little while).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back