My first DSLR, and I have a $1000 budget...
Jun 16, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #61 of 105
haha no, you don't need the filters those are an extra $10... just go for the lens
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #62 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sh0eBoX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha no, you don't need the filters those are an extra $10... just go for the lens
tongue.gif

GET IT! Hell, he's in San Jose!

Pass on the filters and get extension tubes later if you want to get into macro.

BTW: earlier I was saying 50mm 1.4, I meant the 1.8.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:19 PM Post #63 of 105
Quote:

tongue.gif

Roger that...still awaiting his reply PM. He's probably checking out this thread and my feedback right now.
tongue.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #64 of 105
haha man, good luck with the sale

i would just sell you my 50 if i had the funds to go towards upgrading to a 50 f/1.4 or a sigma 30 f/1.4 but unfortunately i don't. even though my 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM basically never leaves my camera... just need to keep it in case i really need it for low light

i'm surprised at the prices these nifty fifty's go for nowadays... i got mine for $55 shipped/paypalled with all original materials and a rubber hood! shoooooot....

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:30 PM Post #65 of 105
Alriiight, I honestly don't know how good of a sale this is, but I managed to secure it!
tongue.gif

Seriously, I still don't know what kind of a deal I got, nor do I understand how good this lens is, but from what I read, this is the "can't-be-without lens," so I guess this is a great start!

lol now I just need to beat myself over whether I should get the XS or XSi.
redface.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:38 PM Post #66 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alriiight, I honestly don't know how good of a sale this is, but I managed to secure it!
tongue.gif

Seriously, I still don't know what kind of a deal I got, nor do I understand how good this lens is, but from what I read, this is the "can't-be-without lens," so I guess this is a great start!

lol now I just need to beat myself over whether I should get the XS or XSi.
redface.gif

It's $90 new. Any savings on the 1.8 is good. You WILL easily be able to sell it for what you bought it for. Forget about the dust. I'll bet you Ten Bazillion Billion dollars it won't show up in your photos. It's takes excellent, sharp photographs.

Now keep an eye out for a deal on a tripod.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:39 PM Post #67 of 105
haha i would consider it to be a great deal in comparison with all the recent sales on the same lens i've noticed ($75 or $80 and they sell pretty quick)

it's a fantastic little lens... i was in love with it when i first got it. it feels like a toy because it's so lightweight and plastic, but it's quite the little performer.

my main gripes with the lens is that the AF is kind of slow and will find itself hunting from time to time, and that the 5 blade aperture doesn't produce buttery smooth bokeh... but hey what more can you ask for out of a $65 lens? i think i just might be spoiled by the fast focusing USM on my 17-55

this lens will give you a taste of the wonderful world of primes (fast, cheap, optically amazing).

congrats on the purchase haha, one step closer to filling out your first DSLR purchase
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #68 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's $90 new. Any savings on the 1.8 is good. You WILL easily be able to sell it for what you bought it for. Forget about the dust. I'll bet you Ten Bazillion Billion dollars it won't show up in your photos. It's takes excellent, sharp photographs.

lol sounds good...any tripods in particular I should look out for?

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:46 PM Post #69 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Samgotit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well put.

and yes... the tripod. do NOT underestimate the need for quality in this piece of equipment! do a lot of research and find out what will suit your needs... but do not skimp out when you decide to buy one. you absolutely get what you pay for when you buy a tripod. it needs to be built solid and out of good materials in order to reduce vibrations (btw 5 micrometers of vibrations --- the wind blowing from a ceiling fan --- is enough to produce camera shake if you are taking a long exposure).

be ready to shell out a couple hundred or so for a good tripod. i ended up settling with a manfrotto 3021bpro/bogen 488rc2 tripod/ballhead combination and i am very happy with it. extremely solid tripod that should last me for a long time coming.

but ignore this for now... get your camera and lenses first! accessories come next
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #70 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol sounds good...any tripods in particular I should look out for?

Bogen Manfrotto 3XXX series, but others may have some good suggestions too.

Just don't get a pistol grip head. I've never had luck with them. Ball Heads or
Pan & Tilt. the latter should be cheaper.

Jun 16, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #71 of 105
Quote:

be ready to shell out a couple hundred or so for a good tripod.

I'm sorry, I couldn't ignore that part...couple...hundred?? Oh jeepers lol this hobby is going to be way more expensive than I thought.
redface.gif

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #72 of 105
hahaha yes photography is a money pit
tongue.gif

but yeah, the bogen manfrotto 3021bpro/488rc2 tripod/ballhead combination is an extremely popular choice for many as their first quality tripod. it's a bit on the heavy side (~6-7 lbs) so it's not ideal if you plan on doing a lot of hiking/backpacking with it but it's quite sturdy and is a fantastic tripod/ballhead combo for $250 ish

here's the combo from B&H that you can purchase together... ~$250 after $25 MIR:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 055XPROB Tripod Legs (Black) with 488RC2

the site lists the tripod as the 055XPROB... but it's actually the exact same tripod, just different naming system (kinda like how the XSi is also known as a 450D across the pond)

edit: i guess it's actually an updated version of the same tripod. it appears to have the center column that can be switched to horizontal without actually having to remove it (jealous lol)

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:01 PM Post #73 of 105
Holy wow, the seller said that if I arrange for a local pick-up, he'll give me the filters and reverse ring for free!

So of course I arranged the pick-up for tomorrow.
tongue.gif

This looks like a great start indeed...

EDIT: Thanks for that link, Sh0eBoX; I was looking around for that tripod.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:10 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

screw budget... get a 1Ds Mk III, 16-35L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 100-400L, 50 f/1.2L and call it a day
wink.gif

Let me suggest another configuration.

Nikon D3, 14-24. 24-70, 70-200 vr, 200-400 vr.
biggrin.gif

Nice score on the cheap canon lens.
biggrin.gif
I think I'm going to get an XSi. Gotta sell my XTi though.

Jun 16, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #75 of 105
wow very nice, lucky you that you guys are in the same town! haha

and np on the link... i was looking around B&H for current prices and noticed that 3021bpro was discontinued so i went looking for its successor lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let me suggest another configuration.

Nikon D3, 14-24. 24-70, 70-200 vr, 200-400 vr.
biggrin.gif

Nice score on the cheap canon lens.
biggrin.gif
I think I'm going to get an XSi. Gotta sell my XTi though.

hahaha very nice.

*looks over at XT* i want to upgrade to a 40D myself, but i can't justify the process or price of upgrading based on the amount of shooting i get to do
frown.gif

ETA: oh sweet you get a reverse ring too!? that's way cool lol i've always had an itch to reverse my 50 for some extreme macro shots
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back