My first DIY Custom IEM's
Aug 13, 2016 at 6:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Lourens

New Head-Fier
I'm not going to go into the reasons why I did it and so forth because that will be a TLDR post.

I need to add the following, I am a tinkerer. I love music and I love working with my hands.  I am an Arduino enthusiast so I am pretty proficient with a soldering iron.

Material:
I bought a CIEM starter kit on Taobao for 228RMB which included the following:
套餐二包括如下内容:固化灯45元,耳印膏30克+30克28元,大口径耳印注射器5元,UV光固化树脂60克59元,琼脂1000克用粉30元,egger清洗液100毫升28.88元,琼脂杯3元,挂蜡100克10元,导音管各规格6元。装饰用标志3元,舒尔插针插座一套带外壳12.88元。专用胶水1元,单元固定热缩管9mm的一小段1元优惠价格230
1x UV Light = 45RMB
30g Green & 30g White Ear impression mold = 28RMB
1x Big nozzle syringe = 5RMB
60g Clear UV resin = 59RMB
1000g silicone powder (for making the negative) = 30RMB
100ml Egger washing liquid = 28.88RMB
1x cup for the making the negative mold = 3RMB
Various sized tubes for the BA's and filters = 6RMB
1 set of MMCX connectors = 12.88RMB
Glue = 1RMB
Various tubes = 1RMB

** Apart from the above I only bought extra
red(30g at 28RMB) UV resin
blue(30g at 28RMB) UV resin
UV resin lacquer(2ml at 21RMB) for glossing and fixing mistakes in the shell

For internals I bought
pre-assembled 5 driver set which included the crossovers = 600RMB
4x white filters = 48RMB
2x green = 24RMB

Time:
1.       1.To make the ear impressions takes about 30 min for both ears, prep and curing time. I let it sit for a day before I cut it to size,         grinded off the sharp edges and covered it with the lacquer. The lacquer dries under UV light. (1hour over two days)
2.       2.To make the negative is a matter of mixing the silicone powder with water, heating it up (all according to instructions) and                pouring it over the impression which is in the handy little 3RMB cup. (10minutes but you have to wait about a day)
3.       3.To make the shell takes another 20 minutes or so. (wait another day just to make sure)
4.       4.Work on the shells (drill holes, make a slot for the MMCX connector and sand out all imperfections) took me 2 hours but might         take you longer, depending on your desire for perfection.
5.       5.Do the internal tubing and filters. Glue it onto the drivers and let cure for 1 day.
6.       6.Insert the drivers with tubes into the shell and glue everything together. 1 -2 hours let it cure for a day.
7.       7.Cover the shell up and work out the imperfections with sand paper.
8.       8.Gloss it over with the lacquer. Dry under the UV light.

Work time = about 5 hours          Wait time = 6 days

This is my first set:

I have almost finished the second set. As soon as I am happy with them I'll upload photos.

Aug 15, 2016 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 9
My second set 
atsmile.gif

Aug 16, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #7 of 9
  How is the sound of 5 driver compared to your other iems ?

Honesty is a virtue and you did ask me about the learning curve... So I am going, to be honest! I just ordered another pair of 5 drivers from the shop because I want to try something different. Did you watch the YouTube video made by Robert Kaufmann (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFPZS69z1UznvOcLozElY-Q)? I did what he did - filled the shell up with resin. AFTER reading more about the 22955 BA driver, I think that might not have been the correct decision.

That is why I ordered another set so that I can redo the shells but instead of filling them up, cover them and drilling a tiny ventilation hole. This will also allow me to play around with different filters and tube sizes.

Currently, when compared to my Fidue A83's (Triple Hybrid), which I love! Mids and highs sound fantastic, but the lows are not very detailed - I used two songs and listened to certain sections over and over again to see which instruments are presented better. The two songs were Tompkins Square Park by Mumford and Sons and Kids by OneRepublic. With Tompkins Square Park, the mids and highs were fantastic with the 5's but I could barely detect the bass guitar riff, then with the A83's the bass guitar is right there next to the singer. With Kids the 5’s did much better than the A83's because of their clarity. I like both IEM's, I just think the A83's handle the lows much better.

So if you can wait another week or so, I’ll be able to tell you more about my little experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back