My first DIY audio cable
Apr 14, 2008 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

m11a1

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, for the past couple weeks I thought about getting better cables from my amp to the CDP, but then an idea came up, instead of buying a cable that is worth $400 for half a meter, why not making my own?

So I did it: I used 2 pairs of gold rca connectors made my RCA. Monster XP speaker cables. I took out the strands of the speaker cable and shoved them in a teflon tubes.

I crimped the speaker cables here on the rca connector.
31508564qy3.jpg

I placed a heat shrink on the area where the speaker cable and the connector is in contact.
32371661xu7.jpg

And then I screwed on the cover....whatever it's called.
97267565xz1.jpg

Here you can see the complete pair...haha its not even balanced in length.
39418339ig3.jpg

Here, it's connected to the amp and CDP:
19830953gd1.jpg

A closer shot of the cable in use:
83150664cf5.jpg

I tried listening to it on my GS-1000 and it sounds good, actually glad that it works, knowing for sure that I did it right
smily_headphones1.gif
, it seems more detailed and richer than my old cable. So anyways, that was my lazy job of quick DIY interconnect. But I think I should be much more serious for my next DIYinterconnect. Can you guys give me some suggestions or advice for my next cable? And also, where can I buy more and better parts (connector, cores, teflon sleevings ...etc)?

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #3 of 4
Hmm....nice looking. How does the GS1K respond to the RA1? It's a combo I've been curious about.

Apr 15, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm....nice looking. How does the GS1K respond to the RA1? It's a combo I've been curious about.

Its an good combo, not great as tube though, that's for sure. With the RA-1, the sound stage is very good, it heightens up the level for some of the instruments when listening to classical. For jazz, the highs of the sax is extremely clear and it sounds very smooth and warm. With the RA-1, the bass isn't as good as with a tube, but nonetheless, the bass is strong and very well controlled. Maybe it's the headphones...that's just how awesome the GS-1000 is...but the RA-1 isn't such a bad headphone amp. I much rather recommend tube with the GS-1000...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back