My first desktop SS and Tube Amps - no cost limit but medium size (initially small)
Apr 23, 2008 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Kel Ghu

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

After my Pico and my Predator, I'd like to step into the desktop amp world. I'd like to buy a SS amp and a tube amp. I don't really have a budget (no cost limit), but I do have a limit on size. I want to put them on my desktop to use them with my computer, so a small footprint would be nice. Though SQ is the most important, so if it is a bit bigger, that may be OK if it really worth it. Atm, I am looking toward a Headamp GS-1 for SS and a RSA Raptor for tube.. But I am not really sure at all... Suggestions are welcome!
Thank you!

--Kel Ghu

Apr 23, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #3 of 19
Some tube amps to consider: Earmax Pro Anniversary / Earmax Silver Edition for tube. Ear HP4 (not tiny but not huge either for a tube amp).

Apr 23, 2008 at 10:58 AM Post #4 of 19
The Earmax Silver Edition would be something small and sounds pretty impressive. In fact, I normally bring it along when I need to travel. It may not be a portable amp, but it is really light and small. Don't want to miss out good music even when I'm on the move.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 19
Sorry, I misexpressed myself. Actually, a medium size amp would be alright. It's just that a GSX or Apache are just way to large for my desktop. Does a medium size amp sound that much better? The woo4 looks great!

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

After my Pico and my Predator, I'd like to step into the desktop amp world. I'd like to buy a SS amp and a tube amp. I don't really have a budget (no cost limit), but I do have a limit on size. I want to put them on my desktop to use them with my computer, so a small footprint would be nice. Though SQ is the most important, so if it is a bit bigger, that may be OK if it really worth it. Atm, I am looking toward a Headamp GS-1 for SS and a RSA Raptor for tube.. But I am not really sure at all... Suggestions are welcome!
Thank you!

--Kel Ghu

I can recommend the Woo WA6 for a good size for desktop/office. Small footprint (relatively speaking), and plenty of upgrade options available, depending on what you wnat to pay.

Apr 23, 2008 at 5:22 PM Post #10 of 19
From the dimensions provided, the Apache and the Woo 2 are actually fairly similar with the Woo being slightly bigger in width and depth (13" by 9" for the Woo vs. 12" by 8" for the Apache.

Apr 23, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 19
Thank you for all your replies! I am looking at all the suggestion right now!
Though, I managed to have my gf agree taking all her stuff away from MY desktop, so I guess I have place for a medium sized rig now
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys,

Thank you!

--Kel Ghu

I can't comment on a tube amp, but for SS I highly recommend the Meier Corda Opera. It has a DAC for your computer and the sound (at least with my Beyer DT880-250) is excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back