My first DAP: AAC320 or Flac?
Jan 19, 2019 at 8:00 PM Post #46 of 50
Neither ALAC nor FLAC are supported cross platform universally. That is one big reason why I use AAC at a data rate that insures audible transparency. I can play AAC files on just about anything. I can't play FLAC easily on my Mac and I can't play ALAC on some of my friends' equipment.

The other big advantage is file size. I can take a huge library of AAC files with me on a microSD card plugged into my iPhone. It's like having just about any music I want at all times and it takes up no space in my pocket along with a line out cable. With that, I can have access to a massive library anywhere I go. With lossless I would have to keep updating and rotating to maintain that kind of selection.

As for the future of file downloads, I don't think we'll see lossless downloads. In the past, the market has always chosen convenience when embracing formats. I don't see the average person really caring if a file is lossless. They only want it to sound great and be convenient. Inaudible completeness only appeals to OCD audiophiles.

I don't quite get the first argument: it's not hard to install Kodi on almost anything.

Jan 20, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #47 of 50
iTunes is what most Mac users use. The current Kodi doesn't work on my old Mac Mini any more. It crashes constantly. The same with Plex. They don't support older Macs well.

Jan 20, 2019 at 7:43 PM Post #48 of 50
iTunes is what most Mac users use. The current Kodi doesn't work on my old Mac Mini any more. It crashes constantly. The same with Plex. They don't support older Macs well.

Well now we're just into the relative merit of updating software versus hardware.

Jan 21, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #49 of 50
Most Mac users use iTunes because it's perfectly integrated on a Mac, iPhone, iPod, Airport, etc. I've used Plex and Kodi, but they work better for video than they do for audio. iTunes isn't very good for video.

Jan 21, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #50 of 50
Most Mac users use iTunes because it's perfectly integrated on a Mac, iPhone, iPod, Airport, etc. I've used Plex and Kodi, but they work better for video than they do for audio. iTunes isn't very good for video.

Yeah I get the integration aspect; I have a 2012 Air and a 2015 mini. I still find Kodi works perfectly for video and audio, but that's using the latest version. Since I've moved to Opus, iTunes isn't an option for playback, but it's a fine place to buy music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back