My first CMoy is a success. Next project?
Jul 3, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #16 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not portable, but the Dynalo, CK2III, CTH, SOHA II, SSMH, Millett Max, are all good steps, with the CTH being the smallest but high density.

Mini3, on your list is probably all that's available unless you can find a Pimeta V1 board somewhere. Don't get bogged down too much on portables. I build them too, but I hardly ever use them except for travelling. In that vein, I much prefer DAC+Amp configurations for travels and I wish there was a project like the Pico, and I don't really want to design my own as my interests are else where, but may have to out of necessity.

I want my next amp to be portable since a lot of my opportunities to listen are where a portable would be useful. I'm really interested in seeing how good a full-sized amp can sound, though, so that's on my list in a few steps.

That brings up another can-of-worms, which is my source. Currently I use an ITouch, and my interconnects are spliced together from the ends I cut off two cheap headphones. At some point I need to make some quality cables, and also I will probably need to make a LOD for the IPod. I'm not sure when the IPod will become the weak link, but that point will probably be fairly soon.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

That brings up another can-of-worms, which is my source. Currently I use an ITouch, and my interconnects are spliced together from the ends I cut off two cheap headphones. At some point I need to make some quality cables, and also I will probably need to make a LOD for the IPod. I'm not sure when the IPod will become the weak link, but that point will probably be fairly soon.

And the fun begins!

I did not really have a portable not to long ago. I got some ipod minis for cheap on ebay and modded them. I added CF cards to bring them to 16Gb, new batteries, and the DIYmod and Rockbox. I particularly like Rockbox if only for the crossfeed, and flac support. They sound pretty good and total outlay for two was just over $100.00

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:55 PM Post #19 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinoue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't mean to hijack your thread here but, to make a Cmoy can someone that has absolutely no experience with DIY or soldering make it?

Absolutely! Check out Tangent's cmoy tutorial and decide for yourself.

Jul 3, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by hiker101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was considering this also. CMoy with a better ground channel, then with buffers for the output. That looks like fun. I might do this in addition to the Mini3. That way I'll have something to compare to.

Have you considered PPAv2? It still falls under transportable. Or try a two-stage amplifier.

Jul 4, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

I think this was exactly my reasoning. Mini3 seems to be very portable with great sound. I expect that when I add all the stuff to Pimeta that I want it probably will be more like a desktop amp.

On the other hand, it's still capable of being a very "transportable" amp.
The pimeta I built (second from left) has a pimeta board, a TREAD configured for 20v, and there was space enough for a bantam DAC if I chose to forgo the RCA jacks(not enough panel space unless I switched it out for a mini jack)
Now, the wallwart outputs 18vac and has a 800uF decoupling cap built in. At under $10, you can buy extra and keep one wherever you want.
I'm pretty sure you could fit 2x 9v batteries and a charger in place of the TREAD and bantam if you got creative.

Quick visual size comparison

off topic: anyone know of any smaller knobs for the mini3?

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #23 of 31
I like the idea of simply improving the Cmoy with a better ground channel. For some reason, the Cmoy is such a beloved little creature that it's easy to want to improve it rather than abandon it - or as Clinton said about Affirmative Action: Amend it; don't end it.

As for the portability of a Pimeta, you'd be surprised. I have, in my possession, a really cool portable Pimeta. I bought it on Head-Fi and was delighted with it. It's not as small as a Mini, but then again, I'm not sure the Cmoy is the clear winner there, either. It's about a 9V-battery's length longer. Encased in a blue plastic shell and sporting an LED on the inside, it's a nice little amp.

Here are some pictures:

The portable Pimeta in my hand. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/member...y-charger.html

The portable Pimeta taking a piggy-back ride on a desktop Pimeta Maxed. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/member...me-design.html

The relative size of both Pimetas. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/member...ing-about.html

Top comparison view of the Pimeta Maxed, the Portable Pimeta, the Cmoy and the Mini3 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/member...moy-mini3.html

Front view comparison of the Pimeta Maxed, the Portable Pimeta, the Cmoy and the Mini3 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/membe...it with me, I don't rule out its portability.

Jul 6, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #24 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamesL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the other hand, it's still capable of being a very "transportable" amp.
The pimeta I built (second from left) has a pimeta board, a TREAD configured for 20v, and there was space enough for a bantam DAC if I chose to forgo the RCA jacks(not enough panel space unless I switched it out for a mini jack)

That pimeta is not a bad size at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bilavideo
As for the portability of a Pimeta, you'd be surprised. I have, in my possession, a really cool portable Pimeta. I bought it on Head-Fi and was delighted with it. It's not as small as a Mini, but then again, I'm not sure the Cmoy is the clear winner there, either. It's about a 9V-battery's length longer. Encased in a blue plastic shell and sporting an LED on the inside, it's a nice little amp.

Here are some pictures: (links above)

Pretty small pimeta. That's why I am thinking of the pimeta after this next build. It seems to be quite adjustable- lot's of choices in terms of size/performance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk
And the fun begins!

Exactly correct! Ha ha.

I spent Friday and Saturday ordering parts. Got everything I need for Mini3, got parts to do a lot of modding of various versions of the CMoy, got some Ipod dock hardware to make a LOD.

Gonna have some fun next week (I hope.)

Jul 6, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #25 of 31
My pimeta shrunk
regular_smile .gif

CIMG3095Medium.jpg

CIMG3082Medium.jpg

CIMG3093Medium.jpg

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #27 of 31
The same kind of thing could be done with the M^3. It wouldn't fit into an Altoids case, but running off three 9V's, you could have a semi-portable M^3 - and that's the amp that removes all doubt about whether it makes any difference to amp your iPod.

Jul 6, 2009 at 3:15 AM Post #28 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rinoue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
don't mean to hijack your thread here but, to make a Cmoy can someone that has absolutely no experience with DIY or soldering make it?

If you're looking for the easiest CMoy to build, I'd suggest ordering a joshatdot PCB...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...boards-253920/

Jul 6, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #29 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred_fred2004 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My pimeta shrunk
regular_smile .gif

Very nice build. I'm assuming that the traces are underneath. Very clean.
Is that your own PCB layout?

Jul 6, 2009 at 5:51 AM Post #30 of 31
Quote:

Very nice build. I'm assuming that the traces are underneath. Very clean.
Is that your own PCB layout?

Yes I use toner transfer here is the underneith
CIMG3072Medium.jpg

somebody mentioned the mini^3

CIMG3179Small.jpg

CIMG3184Small.jpg

CIMG3151Small.jpg

CIMG3167Small.jpg

that was my version
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back