My first bad tubes from ebay
Jan 20, 2009 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

shellylh

Sugar and spice and all things nice
Up to this point, I have been very lucky about buying tubes on ebay. I have dealt with nice people and all the tubes have worked fine. Last week, I "won" (it was a buy it now) a pair of RCA 6as7g's for $13 plus shipping. Maybe I could've bought a pair cheaper than that but I haven't seen that many RCA 6AS7's lately on ebay (the ad said that they were tested like new and that they were "matched," whatever that really means). The tubes took a while to get here... no problem. When I got them, they had fingerprints embedded on the glass (not a good sign.. but cosmetic). I picked one up and it made a noise (like a lightbulb does when it goes bad). I tried the other one and it also made noise. I though to myself, it could be some loose glue that broke off. Maybe that should have stopped me in my tracks (or maybe not, I am not sure as I am still a bit of a newbie when it comes to tubes). Anyway, I put them in my SP Extreme, turn on the amp and I immediately hear what sounds like static electricity from my surge protector (I think). A couple of seconds later I hear a loud pop that comes from my headphones (luckily they were very cheap headphones and I did not have them on my ears) and I flash of light from one of the tubes. Of course, I immediately turned off my amp. Then after about ten minutes, I took out the tubes, and replaced them with my GEC 6080's. Phew...

Well, the amp seems to still be working and that is the most important thing. I told the seller what happened and asked for my money back. Do you think he/she should refund my money? I am not sure what will happen there. If I lose $20, that is not really a big deal. The important question is: should I continue to buy tubes on ebay? The seller had 100% feedback. Maybe the tubes got messed up in shipping. In any case, I am not too keen on hearing loud pops coming from the amp and seeing flashes of light. With SP's service, I view the Extreme as a "antique" that cannot really be serviced.

Mostly, I just wanted to vent and see if this sort of thing has happened to others.

Edit: I just got a full refund from the seller.

Jan 20, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have stopped in your tracks!
Lucky for you there was no dammage!!

Next time will you risk it?

Next time I hear something rattling around in the tube, I think I won't risk it (especially on a pair of cheap tubes).

Jan 21, 2009 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 13
Wow, they must have taken quite a shock to knock something loose inside the tube.
It's good to see you got your money back, and that they didn't harm your amp.
I've only bought tubes on ebay once, and they were new, not NOS(Sovtek).
All the other tubes I bought from fellow Head-Fi'ers(satisfied customer, HF'ers are the best
biggrin.gif
).
Do you like the Extreme?

Jan 21, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 13
Don't put your amp at risk - buy a tube tester. Even a cheap one will reduce the risk of plugging untried tubes into you amp.

Laz

Jan 23, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 13
Good idea, got any suggestions? Used or can you find a reasonably price new tube tester?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't put your amp at risk - buy a tube tester. Even a cheap one will reduce the risk of plugging untried tubes into you amp.

Laz

Jan 24, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 13
Yeah, I sold this guy 2 blue ray movies. He told me they were damaged. I though be was being a bit nit picky.. He asked how will this be resolved.. Offered him a refund and paid for the return shipping. I was surprised how damaged they were. Bent with awful scratches. 26.00 is not worth a negative feedback rating, and letting my reputation take a hit. He gave me glowing feedback. It worked out fine. The seller did the responsible thing. He could have said, after I ship it it's out of my hand..I just treat buyers the way I would like to be treated. Yes, buy tubes on Ebay and head fi.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good idea, got any suggestions? Used or can you find a reasonably price new tube tester?

I bought mine off ebay, about 100 bucks I think. Get one that measures Gm, not emissions.

Jan 25, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #9 of 13
Short version: I just shipped back some bad tubes I got too
frown.gif

Long(er) version:

I managed to track down a pair of Tungsol 5998's (from a reputable German seller on eBay). They arrived well packed and physically they looked great. Nothing rattling inside either. But I installed them, switched the amp on, and after a few seconds there was an extremely loud buzz. This was in both channels, equally loud, and sounded somewhat like an electrical noise. I swapped L/R tubes and tried one more time - same loud buzz, fixed level (independant of volume knob position). Both times the amp was on no longer than 5-10 seconds. I took them out and put back the stock GE 5998A's and it was working 100%. The tubes were described as "NOS, unused, matched pair"

I have no idea what it could be. Quite odd since it was equal in both channels and the input selector was at the "1" position - which in my WA2 is the "mute" position as it is not connected to any input. I was very scared that it could cause damage to the amp - I listend to a few albums and I do not believe any damage was done. There was no flashing, smoke or other form of fireworks in the tubes; nothing visually looked wrong, and they glowed up just like normal. Unfortunately I do not have a tube tester (cannot get them here in South Africa) - I am trying to track people down who may have one locally that I can use prior to using tubes I purchase (buying a tester would cost too much, especially with shipping charges).

Having spoken a few people they think it may be something like cathode leakage, a short, or factory mistake (pins not connected correctly).

Jan 25, 2009 at 11:29 PM Post #11 of 13
buying tubes can be a crap shoot.

i have had my share of bad tubes - both from ebay and tube stores - which were described as NIB, NOS, tested, matched, etc. obviously in these cases, none of that was true. one seller who sold me "match and tested" tubes actually admitted that he did not have time to test all of the tubes he sold.

moral of the story. don't overpay for tubes, because i think a lot of times sellers and even tube stores just grab any pair, throw them in a box, and ship them.

Jan 26, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 13
Wow.... pretty strange that he didn't all the tubes and actually admitted it! I cannot imagine writing such a blatant lie.
eek.gif

Has anyone had trouble like this from a "reputable" non-ebay dealer like tubedepot.com , etc.?

I better look into buying a tube tester.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
buying tubes can be a crap shoot.

i have had my share of bad tubes - both from ebay and tube stores - which were described as NIB, NOS, tested, matched, etc. obviously in these cases, none of that was true. one seller who sold me "match and tested" tubes actually admitted that he did not have time to test all of the tubes he sold.

moral of the story. don't overpay for tubes, because i think a lot of times sellers and even tube stores just grab any pair, throw them in a box, and ship them.

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #13 of 13
That's why I bought a tube tester. Every tube that I get, regardless of source and regardless of seller's test results, I check on my B&K 600 and 707.
To date, I have found 3-4 tubes testing out as bad/marginal that were sold to me as "good to excellent".
mad.gif
Returned them for refund. If you roll tubes or intend to do so, you need a tube tester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back