My first audiophile can, the Sennheiser 580
Nov 19, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Parrothead
Where can you find the 50ohm version of the 595? On the Headroom site I only see the 120ohm version, at least thats what it looks like in the fact sheet.

Hifi Taipei (apparently where Elephas bought his expensive ATH-L3000)
posts their HD595's as 50-ohm.

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:04 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
WOW. I hear the exact same thing as well. Supposedly, some of the upgrade cables fix this "problem" somewhat.

well, i'm using a loaner set of 600s with an Oehlbach cable right now and it's definitely present. running 650s balanced through Tkam's Dynamight fixed it, though.
smily_headphones1.gif
it isn't really anything bothersome.

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:08 AM Post #19 of 23
I've never heard the problem, but I always find it difficult to envision a proper soundstage with headphones anyway. There's always a component of it that sounds like it's inside my head (or directly to the left-right), and envisioning the instruments directly in front of me takes some mental gymnastics. Depends a lot on the way the music is recorded, also.

Nov 19, 2005 at 7:14 AM Post #20 of 23
I've noticed this soundstage issue too. Especially with my PIMETA, sometimes the sounds sound too polarized, so that something on the right side of the stage sounds way off to the right and something to the left sounds way off to the left, leaving the middle kind of empty. Transitioning from the left to the right thus seems very sudden and fast. I think some crossfeed may help alleviated the issue. Otherwise with certain songs/media it sometimes feels like the soundstage is not a smooth spectrum but distinct areas separated by space. For example, while watching family guy, if a character goes from the right side of the screen to the left, I hear a major shift in their voice from the right side of my head to the left side. An almost 180 degree shift that happens too fast to feel normal, while in my field of vision the character only moves through a 90 degree arc according to my eyes.

Nov 19, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #22 of 23
The way you are describing the soundstage of the Senn is exactly what I've been experiencing. Yes there's a slight dip in the upper mids but more often it's the spaciousness I'm noticing. Now, I like the seperation, and it's the first can I've had with seperation of any kind that is worth a damn, but it does seem like there is a vacuum somewhere between the left to center and the right to center. I tend to hear gap on the left to center side more for some reason, but adjusting my cup around my ear alieviates most of it. Don't ask me why. I do love the sound, but I can see a better soundstage is possible (compare with Grado though, with none). I'm also using a 650 cable on my 580, which some have said gives tighter bass and detail, but tends to collapse the soundstage. Now I'm really dying to try out different cables. Ouch, my wallet. Curse you hi-fi!

Nov 19, 2005 at 5:51 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by malthis
I'm also using a 650 cable on my 580, which some have said gives tighter bass and detail, but tends to collapse the soundstage.

In my experience, the collapse is front-to-back, not side-to-side. In other words, the HD650 "flattens" the soundstage and makes it all sound about the same distance from the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back