My first and last "real" DAC/Amp
Apr 30, 2018 at 1:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tsyras

New Head-Fier
Like many people here, I am relatively new to the world of adequate audio gear and by no means consider myself an audiophile. I greatly prefer a V-shape curve to my music.

My first pair of "decent" headphones were the V-Moda M-100s. I had bought a pair of the low end V-Modas years ago after seeing their popularity (in-person and on Amazon), and thought they were great. After I upgraded to the M-100s on a Black Friday sale in 2016 I was blown away at the subtleties I could hear, and could hardly even stand listening to my original pair.

I then purchased a pair of Sennheiser HD 6XXs from Massdrop and enjoy those a lot as well. I go back and forth with which pair I use, but from a utilitarian standpoint I like the open-back design of the Sennheiser so I can hear my family if they need me. In all cases, I still use an equalizer to add quite a bit of bass (even with the already bass-heavy M-100s), because that is how I enjoy my music.

Currently I am using an external sound card (Sound BlasterX G5), but it is a little weak for my HD 6XXs. I don't ever see myself growing a collection of DACs and amps to satisfy my cravings (my wife would kill me because I already have the very expensive hobby of photography). I *may* consider adding a tube amp for fun down the line.

My question is simple. I want to buy the "forever" DAC and amp combo, what would you recommend? I am leaning towards Schiit products for a number of reasons. I like what I have seen of the company and their products seem reasonably priced for the reported quality (also I like how their products would look on my desk).

Here are the choices I am considering:

1) Magni 3 + Modi 2U. I think this is the best overall value (even though the "2" on the front of the Modi will annoy my OCD while the Magni doesn't have a numeric label).

2) Magni 3 + Modi Multibit. At first I planned on this purchase for sure. I have started reading some detractors that make me hesitant on purchasing this as my sole DAC. There is a warm-up time (not sure if it sounds "bad" while cold). There is also reported to be significant latency which from gaming standpoint can be very bad. It also reportedly adds its own "color" to the sound (which seems like something you would prefer to leave to the amp). Honestly I want to purchase this combo, so someone please sell me on this over the Modu 2U. The gaming latency is probably my biggest concern.

3) Jotunheim. I *may* could justify spending $500 on a DAC/Amp combo, but I cannot find any comparisons to how this would sound compared to the 2 combos I mentioned above. I will most likely never use any of the special balanced connectors. So the main drivers here are if the dac and amp are better than the first 2 combos (the single box and built in power supply are nice as well, but not $150-$250 nicer).

One last note, I read about the JDS Labs Element and I really liked how it looked (and style is important for me), but have read very mixed reviews on its performance. I am also very open to suggestions in the same price range as the products above.

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 8
For a amp I would take a look at the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. It is one of the few amps I like the 6xx’s with other than a Bottlehead Crack. It has a good amount of power also to run a variety of headphones like my HE-500’s,400’s and does a decent job with the AB-1266’s(Abyss). I myself am not a big fan of Schiit amps they all have lots of power but I just find most of them a bit bright for me. Their dacs I like as I have a Yggdrasil and love it. I do like their multibits for sure. For the Element I have never owned one but have heard it a couple of times and really liked it but can’t comment on what others have said but found it very solid and sounded very good to me. These are just my opinions so take that for what it’s worth YMMV.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 8
For a amp I would take a look at the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. It is one of the few amps I like the 6xx’s with other than a Bottlehead Crack. It has a good amount of power also to run a variety of headphones like my HE-500’s,400’s and does a decent job with the AB-1266’s(Abyss). I myself am not a big fan of Schiit amps they all have lots of power but I just find most of them a bit bright for me. Their dacs I like as I have a Yggdrasil and love it. I do like their multibits for sure. For the Element I have never owned one but have heard it a couple of times and really liked it but can’t comment on what others have said but found it very solid and sounded very good to me. These are just my opinions so take that for what it’s worth YMMV.

Thanks for the reply. The more I have thought about it, the more I am interested in the JDS Labs Element (single wall wart is a huge plus as well). It is the same price as a Modi Multibit + Magni 3 though. If anyone has direct experience with both systems, that would be a huge plus for advice.

I find some reviews on the web saying they love the Element, and others using the words such as "simplify" when talking about the sound. If I spend $350 on something I want to be paying for more than the style. Like I said, I am no expert, I am just hoping to make a purchase that works well for now and my foreseeable needs (which is nothing right now and I seriously doubt I will ever spend more on headphones than I spent on the HD 6XX).

Edit: I could also see myself in the future purchasing something like the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid to connect to the line out of my amplifier for a different sound signature, but that is way in the future.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 7:10 AM Post #4 of 8
The Element will work really well for you, JDS Labs are excellent at making no-nonsense products that are superb value for money. They are also back by the best customer support in the industry.

The Element is a superb sounding combo with tons of power to boot, and it all comes in an attractive and well built shell.

May 1, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 8
I think that given the choices, I’d also get the Element. JDS Labs really is excellent - I purchased my O2/ODAC combo from them almost 5 years ago, and it’s still going strong. John is extremely helpful - he’s been very quick to respond to any questions (even one I asked recently about line-out functionality on the odac).

May 1, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #6 of 8
Currently I am using an external sound card (Sound BlasterX G5), but it is a little weak for my HD 6XXs. I don't ever see myself growing a collection of DACs and amps to satisfy my cravings (my wife would kill me because I already have the very expensive hobby of photography). I *may* consider adding a tube amp for fun down the line.

My question is simple. I want to buy the "forever" DAC and amp combo, what would you recommend? I am leaning towards Schiit products for a number of reasons. I like what I have seen of the company and their products seem reasonably priced for the reported quality (also I like how their products would look on my desk).

Well, do you want a DAC-HPamp combo or would you be able to just go with a tube amp?

If you don't plan on accumulating gear including headphones, particularly low impedance headphones with lower sensitivity than the M100, then you could just go with a tube amp now. An OTL tube amp is designed for high output (voltage) into high impedance loads like the HD6XX. Just use the line out on on the G5 to feed a Darkvoice DV336se.

May 1, 2018 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 8
Thanks for all the help everyone. While it always seems to go this way, I spent double my normal budget (I did the same thing with my speakers/sub/receiver...spent roughly ~$1000 when I meant to spend only a few hundred). I bought the "EL stack" from JDS Labs. I almost bought the Element, but I read the EL DAC is a really good DAC. This is supposed to be a BIFL type of situation, but I could see myself adding something more "tubey" for a different sound on the side.

My only comparison will be to my Creative external sound card (and my phones for my M-100s/IEMs), but I will definitely post my impressions.

May 2, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #8 of 8
Thanks for all the help everyone. While it always seems to go this way, I spent double my normal budget (I did the same thing with my speakers/sub/receiver...spent roughly ~$1000 when I meant to spend only a few hundred). I bought the "EL stack" from JDS Labs. I almost bought the Element, but I read the EL DAC is a really good DAC. This is supposed to be a BIFL type of situation, but I could see myself adding something more "tubey" for a different sound on the side.

My only comparison will be to my Creative external sound card (and my phones for my M-100s/IEMs), but I will definitely post my impressions.

I have the EL DAC in my main home system and love it, I also have the OL DAC with the O2 amp as a reference headphone system :)

You're going to really enjoy the EL DAC + EL AMP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back