my first, and last pair of shure 750DJ
May 17, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #16 of 26
Quote:

Well, I guess one always has to explore further to get that desired combination of sound/durability/comfort. This is especially true in the world of audio.

I've auditioned the HD 25-1 many times, but I'm not very impressed. As I'm always looking for basshead cans, I don't find it particularly proficient in that department. It handles the low end pretty well, but I don't think its extension and impact are all that great. Still, it's durable as hell, and very light.

how about the sony extra bass?

May 17, 2012 at 9:09 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

how about the sony extra bass?

If it's bass impact, quantity and feel that you want, you'll get them in the XB series. Look to either the 500 or 700. If you're a huge basshead, you'll love them. Ampless, they are already bass monsters; if you pair them with a bass boost amp (E11, ZO2.3), they will really rattle your head. :)

May 17, 2012 at 12:12 PM Post #18 of 26
hmm... I've been thinking about the v-moda m-80, i have been avoiding them due to the fact that normally it's fashion OR sound quality when it comes to headphones. but everyone else seems to like them, so i'll give those a shot

as for the sony extra bass, i love them, but i never got them because i needed something more "well rounded", back then most of my music was not bass focused, but now i'm getting more into electronic music so they might be a good option

May 17, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #21 of 26
UPDATE:: i believe i managed to fix them...i would of sent them to shures but i have no money what so ever right now and have to use what's laying around the house

superglue, duct tape, and a steel band for reinforcement. they will now fit, just a bit looser then usual, and look funny on my head too...oh well.

May 17, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:
hmm... I've been thinking about the v-moda m-80, i have been avoiding them due to the fact that normally it's fashion OR sound quality when it comes to headphones. but everyone else seems to like them, so i'll give those a shot
as for the sony extra bass, i love them, but i never got them because i needed something more "well rounded", back then most of my music was not bass focused, but now i'm getting more into electronic music so they might be a good option

I haven't personally heard the M80 from V-MODA, but it seems to be very popular around. You might want to make it a top choice if you value overall good sound in a fashionable, portable package.

The Sony XB series is just a line of cans built to showcase the awesome power of bass. If you're thinking of getting cans for bass heavy tracks, the XB line is a good choice to consider. However, for general listening, I'd shy away from them.

May 17, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:
hmmm...another good option, i'm in need of something portable, i dislike IEMs
i need to do some reserch

I like the TMA-1 for its bass presentation, but it's a pretty dark sounding pair of cans. Go for it if that's what you like in your headphones. :)

Quote:
UPDATE:: i believe i managed to fix them...i would of sent them to shures but i have no money what so ever right now and have to use what's laying around the house

superglue, duct tape, and a steel band for reinforcement. they will now fit, just a bit looser then usual, and look funny on my head too...oh well.

Well, at least the whole fix somewhat blends in with the color of the 750DJs. Since I've read your thread on the Shures, I've been extra careful with them. I took them out to study their durability, and I'm certain the extenders are definitely not made to last. I always fold the 750DJs inward before putting them back in their carrying case; in order for me to do that, I have to extend the headphones to its full length so I can fold them up. When that is done, a lot of stress is placed on the extender bands when the cups are folded inward.

Shure certainly made a mistake with the design there.

May 17, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #24 of 26
I like the TMA-1 for its bass presentation, but it's a pretty dark sounding pair of cans. Go for it if that's what you like in your headphones. :)

Shure certainly made a mistake with the design there.

i hear the highs on the TMA-1 are recessed....man this is going to be hard...i enjoy bright headphones, but i also enjoy bass. ugh... the problem i have with dark headphones is that i have a high frequency hearing lost, it's not bad, i just won't be able to hear things like cymbals. As a result, dark headphones have an overly dark feeling to them to the point where it sounds like I'm listening to music with ear plugs. the first time i ever had the chance to hear cymbals was on a pair of etymotic HF5. i just hate the way they feel...

as for the shures, it make me question the durability of the rest of their products, something i highly consider when buying things

May 18, 2012 at 4:14 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:
i hear the highs on the TMA-1 are recessed....man this is going to be hard...i enjoy bright headphones, but i also enjoy bass. ugh... the problem i have with dark headphones is that i have a high frequency hearing lost, it's not bad, i just won't be able to hear things like cymbals. As a result, dark headphones have an overly dark feeling to them to the point where it sounds like I'm listening to music with ear plugs. the first time i ever had the chance to hear cymbals was on a pair of etymotic HF5. i just hate the way they feel...
as for the shures, it make me question the durability of the rest of their products, something i highly consider when buying things

if you like highs and lows and dont care much about the mids, you can always get a headphone with a u curve sound signature. at first i thought i was a basshead and then i thought i like u curve but it doesnt exactly fit my genre of music then i thought i like bright sounding headphones but now i think i like neutral sounding headphone with deep extensions on both ends. i like how my dt990 sounds, bass has weight and body, the high is also there, i dont feel its subdued but never harsh, not much sibilance, with clear mids, the sound is well defined and gives a hifi sound (i know some people only use "hifi" sound to describe 1000 dollars flagship and my dt990 probably belongs to the "midfi" to them but to me the dt990 sound is high fidelity but again im no audiophile)

May 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Yep, that's precisely what you get with a dark headphone like the TMA-1. The mids are certainly not going to very forward. The sound signature is overly bassy and the low-end will drown out a lot of the other sounds. For me, this is the type of headphone I like - dark, really punchy and fun. :)

I've auditioned all of Shure's closed back headphones, and I must say, I think they've skimped a bit on the build quality aspect. In fact, the SRH440 I auditioned had parts of its construction missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back