My first amp ( Pocketamp2v2)
Jan 6, 2007 at 2:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
I'm posting this really as a thank you to the forum- without the last few weeks/months of reading advice and comments I wouldnt be such a happy listener as I am today!! (Might also help a few other noobs taking their first steps!!)

My portable set up -Sony Hard Drives(HD5 and HD1) and Minidiscs(RH1,RH10,NH1) feeding Ety6is and Shure E3s. Liked Ety clean,clear sound but not enough bass. E3 was bland - nice mids but that's all (IMHO). Cutting long story short -wanted first amp - Gary Ali's Pocketamp 2V2. At 60$ shipped it's a bargain. NB I'm in UK - he charged me $57 including airmail shipping - included a link cable(I didnt want/need the wall charger)

As others have said he's incredibly efficient,polite,interested etc. Replied to emails within hours- amp arrived well wrapped etc EXCELLENT.

So what about the sound? I connected the HD5 + amp + etys. Result - better ( but not hugely ) bass - similar mid/top?! BUT........that was simply with "headphone" out - I switched to line out ( which both hard drives can do, and 2 of the 3 minidiscs have) WOW!! the sound was very much better(IMHO) - after dropping volume down to my normal listening level - the bass is a lot better ( but not bloated - think that's the technical term LOL !) the mids and top are still fine - but whole thing much..............."warmer" but without losing the good things I like about the ety sound.

Got to say to anyone about to get their first amp - go for it!! It really does make a difference! ( especially if you bypass those built in amps/circuits etc and can use a line out feed!) I'm very very happy. Thanks go to Gary at ElectricAvenues. Just think - if (to be frank) a "bottom end )amp can do this - just think what a .............Tomahawk might do!!??

PS although the amp has reawakened my feelings for my Etys - I'm still thinking that better phones ( and one day better amp?) might be on the cards. The reviews of E500s or the UE Triples are tempting. ( Perhaps i'd better stop reading these Headphone/Amp forums for a while!!!!! )

Jan 6, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 25
Another satisfied PA2v2 customer!

I like mine, too, and I use it as my amp when I'm out and about.

Gary's amp hits the sweet spot as far as sound improvement/money spent.

My HeadRoom Micro Amp is an improvement in sound quality, but Gary's is still a great "bang for the buck" product. Rock solid, too.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 25
I also have the same amp and use it with my Grado SR60, excellent with full bass and good overall sound. Recently noted some scratch sound with volume knob after 3 yrs of use, and Gary is willing to take care of it, but haven't bothered to send it.

gychang

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #4 of 25
Gary is a wonderful chap. With a solid product. Welcome aboard. This is an Audio niche that is exploding. And a fun time to be involved. Keep track of the wallet. It's gonna have Happy Feet.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 25
I lost my Head-Fi virginity to the PA2v2, great great amp, Gary is great to work with, great way to start your journey
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 25
Its my first amp too! wonderful battery life and fun sound!

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #8 of 25
Just about to take the plunge and buy a PA2V2. Interestingly enough, I'm strongly considering picking up the 280 Pros.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #9 of 25
my 1st amp tooo, wonderful purchase i still have mine, may not get as much use, but still wonderful

Dec 3, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #10 of 25
Seeing these latest posts made me think I'd give a quick update.........!! Still using my PA2v2. (Now with Ipod Classic and Qables interconnect). Very happy with the sound into Ety 6is still. A few months ago I found that I'd lost one of the little screw/washer thingies on the phones socket. I emailed Gary at Electricavenues and by return he sent me a couple of replacements ( and to UK too!! ) The guy's customer service is second to none!!

As others say it's a brilliant amp ( especially for the price ) and Gary is an incredibly nice guy to deal with. If anyone is reading this and thinking of taking the plunge for a first amp i'd recommend it!!!!

Dec 4, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #13 of 25
Great little amp. Accompanies me on every flight.

Dec 5, 2007 at 1:24 AM Post #14 of 25
This was my first headamp, like what seems an eternity ago. I still have it, but it has no use due to other amps being available. What a great awakening it was and the beginning of upgraditis and an empty wallet.

A great little amp from a great guy, Gary.

cheers
Simon

Dec 5, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #15 of 25
I'm considering this too, will probably get it once I scrounge up some more money, for $56 it seems like a steal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back