My first amp (PC source q's too)
Dec 29, 2005 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

adfinni

100+ Head-Fier
I have loved my HF-1's ever since i first put them on my head. But when i came home from uni a few weeks ago, i plugged them into my dad's HiFi and was taken aback by how much better they sounded than out of my ipod, or Audigy 2.

HiFi: Old school Arcam amp (apparently built with military grade components), 10 year old rotel cd player, and some good cables (don't ask as i won't know
biggrin.gif
)

I understand that comparing the ipod/audigy 2 with the HiFi is stupid, as the HiFi will sound superior. But i was wondering if amping my HF-1's straight from my audigy 2 will bring them closer to the sound out of my dads system?

I have heard good things about the NAD 310 amp, but ideally i would like a potable amp; prefereably the PA2V2 or new go-vibe 4 (for portable use, but mainly home use). Would the PA2 or go-vibe give a noticable increase in sound quality from my audigy 2 and ipod, or will i have to spend some serious money on new equipment?

I would like to spend no more than £100 on an amp (or soundcard if needed), but i like the audigy 2 because of the multichannel sound for counterstrike source.

You will probably have a lot of questions for me, as it's hard to explain everything, so please fire away
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 7
Right 62 views and no replies yet. Il try and simplify the options as ive done a little research.

I'm tempted by a proper home amp, as i actually do most of my listening at home, and could pick up a cmoy from Evilfire for my ipod anytime.
My question is, how good will an amps such as these sound:

1. New Marrantx PM4001
http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm...=comp&type=amp

2. 2nd hand Arcam Alpha 8
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Arcam-Alpha-8-...QQcmdZViewItem

Would these amps be a waste of time if they are connected to an audigy 2, and if they are, then will an EMU 0404 and some custom cables make my HF-1's sing? Could i also plug my ipod into these amps (sorry im a bit of a newbie still) ?

I also considered the home amp route, so when i leave uni in about 18months i could use it in my first Hi-Fi system.

Thanks

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:31 PM Post #3 of 7
I don't know anything about those two amps that you've looked at (as I'm very much a newbie myself round here and still learning in the ways of spending all my cash)

But I do have an Audigy 2 and a PA2V2 and to begin with I just plugged my HD555 into the Audigy 2 breakout box (I have the platinum pro version) and thought the sound was pretty good. On the very very very quiet parts of my music I could hear a little noise in the background (fuzzy type thing) which I just put down to the music from my PC as it's all in OGG Vorbis at Q4 (as that's what I use on my X5 and space is still limited on my home computer at the moment)

However I've started plugging the headphone port into the PA2V2 and then my HD555 into that (just using some bog standard cables that came with it) and I think it sounds better... I'm able to hear a bit more of the bass coming through and the whole just sounds that little bit tighter (it's not a totally night/day difference but it is just there) Also the fuzzy noise on the quiet parts is pretty much totally gone (apart from on the odd song that actually included it in the music - I checked back with the original CD)

Oh yeah... was playing Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War again through the PA2V2 and, again, it sounded stunning to my ears. Maybe it's just my head saying it should sound better or wanting it to as it's going through the extra amp but I like it (and that's all that matters to me)

At least it'll keep me going till my Aria turns up....
biggrin.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #4 of 7
Sounds like you understand the deal. First the HF1 needs amped and secondly it's easily to surpass the iPod and Audigy DACs. Your limitation is the £100. Guess I'd go the amp route first, but since the iPod is a decent source I'd consider going with a portable amp for it too. All depends if you want that option too or it's more important to start building a home stereo system.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:26 PM Post #5 of 7
@m_memmory:

I was oing to by the PA2V2 from teh FS area for £40 and see how things went, but thats gone now, so i doubt il be bothered with ordering one from gary.

@blessingx:

Well i have been doing some long hard thinking, and the £100 budget is no more
icon10.gif
After listening to my HF-1's properly on out of my fathers system, i realised that a home setup is far more important to me.

Is the arcam alpha 7 a good amp, as i regard arcam products to be excellent, and are also British
tongue.gif
?
If for example, i purchased an arcam alpha 7 amp and an emu 0404 soundcard, would my 320AAC music files sound a lot different to those outputed straight from the audigy 2 to the HF-1's?

With, the 2nd hand arcam, i would save enough money to buy some monitor sudio bronze 2, or wharfedale diamond 9.1's!

Ta

edit: i won't worry about amping my ipod until i have got some decent speakers,a good home amp for my HF1's, and an emu 0404.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by adfinni
@m_memmory:

I was oing to by the PA2V2 from teh FS area for £40 and see how things went, but thats gone now, so i doubt il be bothered with ordering one from gary.

Fair enough - I would just say that, if you ever do think about the PA2V2, that you might want to contact Gary. Being in the UK you won't need the power adaptor that comes stock with it (what with it being used in America) so he'll knock of $4 for that meaning that (incl p&p) it cost £32.50.

The power adaptor that I brought cost me £7 so in total terms it actually cost about the same as the one that you were going to get for £40 however I've now got a power adaptor that can power pretty much anything (and I have a few things that can use it so it was needed)

Dec 30, 2005 at 6:34 PM Post #7 of 7
Cheers mate, that seems a pretty good deal at about £40 overall.

But now because of the HF-1's and head-fi, i need to buy a full Hi-Fi system
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back