My first £100ish budget headphones
Apr 30, 2018 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Nihtweorc

New Head-Fier
Hello and thank you for your help in advance.

I am currently look for my first set of premium headphone (for me at least). My Budget is around £100 mark but I am willing to move slightly on this. I do have a high pitch deafness due to a misspent youth involving fireworks so I am very nervous when it comes to volume. I already where hearing aids at 30 and don't want to add to the problem.

I will be mainly using them for music (spotify premium as the main source), gaming and movies.

I don't have any DAC/Amp I am not adverse to buying them in the future though. .

I think closed back would be better for me, don't need active noise canceling but some isolation would be good. I am looking at the ATH MX50 X but was wondering if there was anything newer or other suggestions you would give me.

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 9
Have a look at the SoundMagic HP151’s I like them more than the 50x’s myself as the 50’s bass to me is bloated a bit. I don’t own either but have heard the 50’s several times and the 150’s ( not the 151’s but they are said to sound the same and have fixed some structural issues) once for a short time but still would pick them. I’m not a basshead so take that in account.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 9
The only thing of concern is the cable length 2.5m isn't very portable, as most of my devices are next to me. Getting a smaller cable would push the price to almost £150 do you think there's anything better? I would rather put the money on the headphones than accessories.

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 9
I suppose you could check into an M40x. It is not better than the SoundMAGIC (not as good, IMO) but it is good. It is much more neutral than the M50x, FWIW. One other than you might explore is an ATH- A550z, which is also quite good for the price. Lastly, if you can find one, a Takstar Pro 82 could work for you.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 9
I have not heard the ADAC version but the reviews are quite good. That is a crazy good price you have found, based on USA pricing anyhow. FWIW. Can you return them if you don't like them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back