My fiance and I are seeking employment in Vietnam and China, Advice?
Mar 1, 2013 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

wnewport

1000+ Head-Fier
My fiance and I wanted to travel before settling down, and her Viet/Chinese heritage landed us in HCMC.  We've been living in District 3 and vigorously applying for jobs since January without much luck.  I have a B.A. in Comp Sci, and she has two bachelor's in English and Art History. After talking with some fellow American expats, I'm under the impression a 25+ hour job for a Westerner is much harder to come by than I originally thought.  It might be possible to piece together daily freelance work, but that's won't' sustain us for 1-2 years.

We love Saigon and are willing to give it another month or two, but after that we'll be financially obligated to look elsewhere (probably China).  

Finding work relevant to our degrees is secondary to the overall abroad experience.  We can both teach, work in the service industry, etc. if that's what it takes.  

Your advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mar 6, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #2 of 2
Hi,
I'm very happy to hear that you both love my home country!
Honestly, it is a bit difficult to get a job in these days in VN because we are suffering a similar to crisis in economy. I think that you can see the unemployment rate is increasing, at least till end of 2013, I guess.
In your case, I think you can find contact at U.S. consulate office or AmCham and ask them to introduce some posts. Or you can come to English Teaching center such as ACET to look for jobs as English teachers. The demand for studying English is very, extremely high in Saigon and in Vietnam.
I'm currently not at VN so I cannot suggest more about it.
Best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back