My Favorite Rock Album of All Time
Feb 18, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #16 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unearthed
Fair enough...it took my a bunch of listens before I could stand Radiohead, I'll give it another shot in a day or two. Oh, and I was not comparing it to the Allmans or Floyd...just a sidenote.

Well, report back to us if you happen to listen to it again
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unearthed
Well I gave it a good honest listen and I thank you for the recommendation. It wasn't for me...a bit too spacey and overdone I thought, very electric. Certainly in 1973 this was out of the norm and perhaps a bit ahead of its time.

But in my book, with albums like Dark side of the moon, The Allman's Brother's and Sisters (which included a little diddy called "Ramblin Man,") Zep's Houses of the holy, Springsteen's Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ and others...it's hard for me to put this release in the top 10 for the year...let alone of all time.

Ditto for me, but since aman has worked so hard, I'll give it another listen.
tongue.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:25 AM Post #18 of 34
I picked it up today, and its definitely grooving with me. I'm only now on track 6 Dogfight Gaggle, weird track, but the 1st 5 tracks are very well written, great melodies and excelllent song writing, tempo shifts, dynamic contrasts, transitions between ideas and songs are very nice. Thanks Aman for the rec!

Feb 26, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 34
Picked up the cd today...I would have to say that is a very impressive piece of work for what it is. Though I probably won't be running out to pick up any of his other works because the style is a little dated for my tastes...I am very glad that this is now a part of my music collection.

I can't definately see how the "recreational drug use" added to the genious of this album...the pictures in the linear notes make that very apparent.

This is an awesome example what music should be about...a true brainchild. Not just an exercise in catchy tunes, melodies, lyrics, beats or hooks. You can tell Todd put allot of heart and hours in this recording.

This is the type of album that takes you for a complete interupted journey from start to finish. Its one of those albums you play whole (not just picked through for a few songs)...thats a kick ass quality.

Thanks for the inspired write up Aman.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #21 of 34
I am doing a major music production theory write-up for a class curerntly, and it is regarding Todd Rundgren, and specifically this album.

I thought I'd bump it so that those who didn't see this thread back in February can have the ability to get inspired and pick up this album right now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by megawzrd
Picked up the cd today...I would have to say that is a very impressive piece of work for what it is. Though I probably won't be running out to pick up any of his other works because the style is a little dated for my tastes...I am very glad that this is now a part of my music collection.

I can't definately see how the "recreational drug use" added to the genious of this album...the pictures in the linear notes make that very apparent.

This is an awesome example what music should be about...a true brainchild. Not just an exercise in catchy tunes, melodies, lyrics, beats or hooks. You can tell Todd put allot of heart and hours in this recording.

This is the type of album that takes you for a complete interupted journey from start to finish. Its one of those albums you play whole (not just picked through for a few songs)...thats a kick ass quality.

Thanks for the inspired write up Aman.

VERY well-put, sir. This is an excellent description of Todd, his body of work, and his innovation in the music world.

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #22 of 34
I was expecting to open the thread and find a two sentence blurb. My favorite album is . . .

Great Post. I will buy the album.

As to sound quality - Great is great. Sound quality is just the cherry on the top.

One of my favorit genres is Hawaiian Music (Yes, Hawaiian Music). Of over 150 album and 2128 songs, my favorite song is a ratty 1947 mono recording. Go figure!

My Favorite Album: The Who, Quadrophenia.

EDIT: Aman, EXPLICIT LYRICS! Are you trying to send us all to Hell?

Sep 26, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #23 of 34
nice write-up. this is the only Rundgren album i own... definitely an unerrated classic!

it's not my favorite of all time, just because of my own personal proclivities: the medley of philly soul tunes kind of loses my attention. but again, that's just my own taste.

otherwise, it's genious, spirited, and far-reaching without losing its footing.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:05 PM Post #25 of 34
I have that CD. It's interesting, and I like it.

These are my favorite rock albums, which must be considered together:

images

images

I would make a write up like yours, but I have no idea why I like them.

Sep 26, 2006 at 4:34 PM Post #26 of 34
Wow, what an amazing write up! Anyone with a Captain Beefheart avatar wins my instant respect, though admittedly I don't think I have listened to "Trout Mask Replica" the 1,000 times it takes before "they" say you can grasp its true genius.

However, I do have a query regarding "A Wizard/A True Star". Let me preface this by saying I have no problem listening to music recorded under the influence of or inspired by drug use. But, I do have a general disdain for music that is all about drugs, if that makes any sense? Like music that lacks any real substance, because the entire focus is "let me tell you what I was thinking about when I was on mescaline"?

By your description, it does not appear this is one of these records, and I do not wish to offend you, as I know we hold our favorite records near and dear to our hearts. I just wanted to make sure this isn't one of those records?

Thank you!

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #27 of 34
Todd Rundgren was/is an exceptional artist, there was a period of a few years in the seventies where Todd’s discs where the only ones on my turntable.
There was just something magical in the voice and production and it’s refreshing that to see that he is still being appreciated by newer generations.

Sep 26, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #28 of 34
A Wizard A True Star is a ****ing superb album. It has been in my top favourites ever since I first heard (and fell in love with) it last year. The range of music the dexterity of the sound the way it flows and changes, quite, quite masterful. Your comments, among the best I have read on any album on these forums, still do not do it justice. None could. Its a masterpiece. Its the only Todd album I have on my PC, and he still manages to rank 10th on my lastfm listing for artist plays. Ive played 36162.

And today I saw a vinyl copy in my local record shop.

Its not goign to stay there for long.
biggrin.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh
And today I saw a vinyl copy in my local record shop.

Its not goign to stay there for long.
biggrin.gif

buy it for sentimental value and music quality... but don't get it for sound quality... it's piss poor.

Sep 26, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #30 of 34
after reading this thread when it was first posted, i kept my eyes open for the album in my local record store, and one day it turned up, in perfect condition, in the used section. it was certianly one of the best buys i've ever made.

i was skeptical about the album at first; it was obviously masterful, but so... odd. over time (and not very much of it), the album grew on it immensely, and it is now without a doubt one of my favorite albums of all time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back