My family is complaining about my speakers, so...
Aug 27, 2007 at 3:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

rodeodude

New Head-Fier
I now have an excuse to buy a pair of headphones! I listen to all kinds of music, from Megadeth to Mozart, so these cans would have to be pretty versatile. Isolation is a non-issue since I'll be listing to them inside only. I would like to keep this purchase under $200, but I can go over if it is really worth it; I was looking at the B-Stock K601 on HeadRoom, and the SR225. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have no amps, the SR-225 is a safer bet. The K601, when unamped, can be quite flat-sounding/uninspiring. It is also far more insensitive than Grados.

not that i would use a 601 without an amp, but you don't like flat sound?

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Flat in the negative sense, as in not much dynamic nor punch. I did not mean flat as in neutral (which the K601 is).

Oh hehe
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #8 of 14
I'd vote for the K601. You could listen to it from your Sony. (at least for now). HD580s also need an amp to sound their best. I've listened to both out of sub $100 portable amps using a wall wart.

Edit: I don't listen to much heavy metal, the closest I get is Porcupine Tree. I do listen to a wide variety of music and enjoy the openness of the AKGs for everything. They're also about as comfortable as headphones get. I enjoy the HD580 as well, but they take some work to get comfortable. They also have a little more bass. They're the about the same in what it takes to drive them. The last I looked, Sennheiser's web site had refurbished HD580s for under $200

Aug 27, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #9 of 14
I haven't heard any AKGs but Sennheiser HD-595s are very versatile cans. I listen to everything from Rachmaninoff to Children of Bodom with mine and they sound great with everything.

They also sound great unamped, but it adding one definitely helps (as it does with any can).

Remember that burn-in is very important with Hi-Fi gear, I recommend 25+ hours of pink noise for the 595s.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Man theres a lot of activity on this forum, I had to dig through my web history to find this thread.

anyway

Lucky for me there was an HD595 on uBid for $140, so I went ahead and ordered it, and I should have it in about a week. One final question, what is "pink noise" and where can I find some to burn in my headphones?

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #12 of 14
"pink noise" is the same as "white noise" except "warmer". White noise would be akin to radio static, so, that but warmer. I've found warmer to be in the ear of the listener, so feel free to seek clarification from someone with a better formed opinion than myself
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, grats on converting from speakers to headphones. If more people did that, college dorms would be so much more livable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back