My Experience: Nano -> Whiplash Micro LOD -> RSA Shadow
Dec 7, 2009 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

4sound

100+ Head-Fier
Here are some pics of my portable rig. I've tried a variety of headphones, LODs and small amps to achieve something very portable with great quality sound over the last year. So far this is what I've come up with.

The Shadow has +400 hours and sounds better than any of my other portables. I still like my iBasso P3 Heron for opamp flexibility and its warm dynamic signature but it's big compared to the Shadow. My iBasso T4 pairs nicely in size with the Nano, sounds warm, but the sound is colored, isn't as dynamic and wide compared to the Shadow. However, the cost of the Shadow is also 3x. T4 is still a great small form factor amp for the price.

I made a clear sleeve for the Shadow to protect the case. I basically took a piece of hard wood, cut it to the dimensions of the Shadow and used clear heat shrink around the wood.

As far as phones go, my favorites right now for portable use are the Yuin G2a, RE0 and Klipsch X10.

RE0 have great detail and sound stage but when I'm on a plane with a lot of background noise, the X10 sound better to me. I think it's because the X10 insert deeper in the ear and have a little better isolation. X10 is a lot more bass heavy but for some music I like that vs the more refined qualities of the RE0.

G2a sound wider and capture really nice clarity across the spectrum. With the Shadow, I swear the G2a sound better than a lot of full size, more expensive phones. I can't think of a better headphone for under $50. G2a just doesn't work too well on the plane unless I'm cranking it to really high levels. At that point the clarity is lost fighting with plane noise.

The Whiplash Micro SCSCag LOD with Viablue IMO is the coolest LOD in the land. I have accumulated a bunch of LODs over the last year and even made a couple myself. The sound is enhanced/refined with the Whiplash Micro. I attribute the sound enhancement to either the Cryo SCSCag wire, Viablue 3.5mm or the combination of both. Bass is definitely not lost with this silver based wire. The size, build quality and styling is like nothing else out there.

Attachment 23504

Attachment 23505

Attachment 23506

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:04 PM Post #2 of 5
nice write-up. have you tried the shadow with your denons yet? i have 5,000's and a pair of RE0's and also use a nano. Curious how the shadow drives the denons

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Shadow sounds really good with my MarkL Modded D2000. I'm sending them to Mark to get cups soon so we shall see what that produces.

The Shadow really opens up the sound stage and clarifies everything. One thing I did notice was that the mid/highs get a little too strong when the battery starts to wears down on the Shadow. Its kind of strange. The battery life is so long though that it really isn't an issue.

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 5
I am waiting on my Shadow... and my RE0s. It's good to know that there is good synergy, after the emptied bank account!

Dec 8, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 5
I hear you. I'm done buying stuff for a while. Well, hopefully...ha ha.

You really need to give the Shadow the proper amount of burn in. It will sound pretty transparent right out of the box but the wide soundstage and bass come after around 150 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back