My ER6 vs. E3 dilemma
Jun 16, 2004 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Thaddy

Headphoneus Supremus
Well I'm gonna ditch my E2's, since they lack the higher end detail that I'm starting to crave. Now, I'm gonna pair this new set with a maxed out Cmoy with an AD823 and a bass boost (switchable). I miss hearing the slight cymbol taps and background noises that I can hear with my 580's, so these have to go.

I want the E3's because of there design, I like the over the ear fit and I know they won't be falling out. Also, Shure's don't have the microphonic problems that Ety has been famed for. On the other hand, I haven't heard great thing about the E3's, and I know the Ety's shine in the detail department. Plus, the Ety's are cheaper. Either set should have plenty of bass with the addition of my amp, but I'm just trying to weigh the pros and cons of each set.

As much as I would like to buy both and auditoin them, it's not possible due to low fundage, so this decision could be a big waste of time if I end up not liking them.

Any help is appreciated!

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:24 AM Post #2 of 8
though i can't compare them to er6's, i thought the e3c's were really bass light and muffled. and while the er4's were a bit bass light, they were extremely clear and made for a much better listening experience. i dunno if that applies to you though...

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #3 of 8
I would buy the ER4P or the E5, and wait until I had the $$$ to do so. I bought the E3 and now wish I had waited until I had the money for the E5, even though it was more than twice as expensive. I am out of my 30-day return window and am stuck with them. Every time I listen to my E3s, I wish I had the E5 (sharpness/harshness in upper midrange - ouch!).

Stick with those E2s until you have the $$$ to leapfrog your current choices the next level!
etysmile.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 8
See I'd love to save up for the ER4's or E5's, but I don't plan on doing anything to my portable rig in the future, that's what I want the ER6's or the E3's right now. From here I'd like to spend my money on my home rig.

Seems like the ER6's would suit my needs better, and paired with my amp...I'll be a happy traveler
etysmile.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 8
If you want something brighter with a more neutral bass, the ER-6 is a good solution. You may want to consider the hidden cost of buying new filters and ear tips.

Jun 16, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedxing
If you want something brighter with a more neutral bass, the ER-6 is a good solution. You may want to consider the hidden cost of buying new filters and ear tips.

Yeah I think I'm pretty much settled on the ER6's. What bad things do you guys have to say about them? I'm interested in the cons as well
cool.gif

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #7 of 8
Let me chip in with a word against eh E3s as well. In summary though, they don't seem to be overly details, and the upper mids and highs are recessed. It sounds like you want that, so i'd go for something other than the low end Shures.

Edit - I find the bass to be fine, maybe slightly light but not as bad as I expected after all the comments on here.

Jun 16, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Best audio balance and great details amped or unamped is provided by the ER6. Don't even think about the Shures if you are looking for clarity or detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back