My ER-4's slowly breaking, recommendations please
Jan 9, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 24
so flat is not neutral? you're confusing me here. i think you're trying to say they lack body/weight which is understandable. if i'm mistaken well lets not get into like you said.

yeah, i got a little bored with the thread so i thought i'd throw something out there. the 4s even with a cmoy is pretty amazing.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #17 of 24
There was a nice research by Headroom which showed how bass in a headphone should need 5dB of boost to replicate the effect of a subwoofer in speakers, which makes the sound more natural.
Neutrality doesn't mean a flat frequency response. Many people call the Sennheiser HD600 the perfect example of neutrality. The Etys only sound artificial, tonal balance-wise.

Jan 9, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #18 of 24
I have had the Ety's for years now, and for the price, they are still the best in my opinion. Ive tried the E4C from shure and those sounded pretty good, but I preferred the ER4P's sound. I also bought the Super.fi 5 Pro and in my opinion, the Ety is better just about everywhere. The super.fi however is a very smooth and articulate sounding headphone. The only headphone that I liked better than the Ety ER4 is the Triple.fi, but, the Triple.fi has to have an amplifier to outshine the Ety in my opinion. Straight out of the ipod, the Ety still wins. I find the Triple.fi to actually need the power of an amp to be driven their very best. With an amp, the Triple.fi is better than the 4P in every aspect except treble extension. The Triple.fi comes very close though and also has amazing extension. The ER4-S can be driven pretty well straight from the ipod, but, The bass is a little thin and lifeless, you'll be better of with the ER4P.

Jan 9, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 24
i am in the exact same boat.

i ordered the Q-jays, as i liked the form factor. they have also been described by many as ety's with bass.

my current 4p's have the same cable problem as yours. i will probably send them to the company for recabling for $50. it will be the newer braided style with less microphonics. or i may splurge and go for the aPure. i actually just bought a Tomahawk, so maybe go for the "s" conversion..............

Jan 9, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #22 of 24
The "4" is still the King to me.

So... too late to offer $30 for that BROKEN 4?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:57 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by IEMaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have had the Ety's for years now, and for the price, they are still the best in my opinion. Straight out of the ipod, the Ety still wins. I find the Triple.fi to actually need the power of an amp to be driven their very best. With an amp, the Triple.fi is better than the 4P in every aspect except treble extension.

As current owner of TFP's and ER4P's, I totally agree with this. I was A-B'ing the two IEM's with a superb recording (Steve Smith's band Vital Information - "Vitalization") and straight out of the Ipod the Etys are more desireable to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back