My entrance into the Grado realm
May 13, 2003 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

FrostyMMB

500+ Head-Fier
I found out yesterday that the University Audio store just down the street carries Grados, so I went down this afternoon, auditioned a pair of SR-325s, and brought a pair home after spending the last week dreaming about them. I've got them burning in under a few pillows right now.

I had my Straightwire rca-mini cable and JMT Cha47 altoid amp with me, and they had some Music Fidelity CDP and a Harmon Kardon that I played some CDs through. For the time I auditioned them, I didn't find them uncomfortable for the short time I listened, and the pads sit completely around my ears. The guy there confirmed that the demo pair hadn't been burned in yet. They had the the RA-1 and PH-1; I was surprised their small size, as the pictures never really gave me a clear idea of it. They had the SR-60s and SR-125s, which I didn't bother listening to; I feel safer not having to worry about the ol' upgrado with heading straight to the 325s. The Creek headamps were sitting above the Grado amps, and they too seemed smaller than I had thought from the pictures. But enough of my rambling.

I'm excited
biggrin.gif
. I'll be waiting for these to get good and burned in over the next few days before I really judge the sound. I've got a couple sets of Senn paids ordered and will slap those on, modded and unmodded, to see how they sound in comparison to the bowl pads.

Oh, and now with the cans comes a new avatar.
cool.gif

May 13, 2003 at 9:33 PM Post #2 of 7
Congrats Frosty on your new headphones. OSrry we couldn't work a deal out
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2003 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Enjoy 'em. I like my 325s. And I bought my RA-1 from University Audio. There's even more fun to be had at Paragon over on Monroe (708 I believe). They have a room full of vintage stuff and I hear there's even more in the attic!

May 13, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 7
personally I find

with the right interconnects, the right source and amp
Sr-325's don't sound bright at all.

They're very detailed, and

the bowl pad's are better sounding.

The flat pads are warmer, but you lose alot of Depth, and soundstage.

It's better to stay with the bowls, and the bass is very much there with a very good amp/source/ic power supply combo...

The CHA47 is a very nice amp,

I'm sure if you try IC's around you'll find one you like. The "outlaws" work amazing for my RS-2's
and I use a NAD cdplayer which was bright with an Audio Alchemy HPA-1

I like the crossfeed from the HPA-1, not sure what caliber the amp relates to, compared with the Headroom series,
but with the Powersupply upgrade,
my Rs-2's sound smooth, impactful, deep bass, and very spaceous and detailed.

May 14, 2003 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 7
Flip the bowl pads around. The sound is completely different. If they weren't already pretty quick, the grado's become completely immediate. It is incredible. Simply incredible. I haven't tried the flat pads, but I can't imagine them sounding a lot better. Woohooo!!!

May 14, 2003 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 7
Well, since I'm not broke yet, can I get some recommendation on a good redbook source to match the Grados? I really don't have a decent CDP. The NAD c541i caught my eye a while ago, but I don't know whether or not it pairs well with the Grados. Recommendations would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back