My EMU croaked today!
May 9, 2004 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Iron_Dreamer

Sponsor: Audeze
Landscape-Photo-Fi
Organizer for Can Jam '09
So, I come back from lunch, fire up foobar, and to my amazement, hear exactly nothing. Now repeat this over the course of the afternoon/evening as I try everything I can think of to see what the deal is, to no avail. As far as my multimeter can tell, there is no signal coming out of the analog outs. The card still recognizes and interacts with windows, though, so perhaps the DAC chip took a dump? At any rate, I guess it is back to the retailer for this little guy on Monday, hopefully his replacement will have a longer lifespan
rolleyes.gif
At least if it was going to die, it did so before I started modding it, so that I will be able to get a replacement. Until the new one arrives, I'm stuck with the Soundstorm on-board audio, which ain't terrible, just a bit on the boring/lifeless side. Oh well, all the more excuse to actually study for my final exam on monday
eek.gif

May 9, 2004 at 8:51 AM Post #2 of 27
Ouch! That's too bad. Man, lucky it was before mods, eh? I hope it was just that single card you got. Good luck with the new card and exam on monday. I got one on monday too
frown.gif

May 9, 2004 at 3:10 PM Post #4 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by genefid
check the volume knob under monitor. I find mine resetting itself to -132 on occasion.

I think he'd have still gotten a signal out of the multimeter if that was all the problem was.

I wonder if this is a design flaw that will crop up in many more emu's?

May 9, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 27
Is your patchmix DSP setup ok?

May 9, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 27
I hope my Emu doesn't die!
Definantly a good thing you hadn't modded it yet.
Where did you order from?

May 9, 2004 at 6:58 PM Post #8 of 27
Well I spent hours yesterday tweaking every little bit of the software that I possibly could, but nothin'. I used the multimeter, RMAA, and anything else I could think of to troubleshoot it. I got it from www.samedaymusic.com, who has a pretty good reutrn policy, and say they'll send a replacement for defective products before they even recieve the returned item, so I think everything should work out well enough.

May 9, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 27
this is one reason I don't know if I want to mod my sound card, being a $600 RME HDSP 9632.

good luck on your final (mine are in a week, my classes have late slots in the final exam schedules luckily... of course, I have two lab reports due in a day or two so I better work on those)... and hope you get a replacement card soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by ayt999
this is one reason I don't know if I want to mod my sound card, being a $600 RME HDSP 9632.

I don't think this is a reason not to mod your card, after all this card died before I even had the chance to mod it, since my parts have not come in yet. I put the last RME I had through hell and back, and it just kept on tickin'. Since this EMU card failed so early in its projected lifespan, I figure it must have just had a dud part in it.

May 9, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 27
true... but there is always the chance that it will die down the road since although most components if defective will show the defect within a short while of use, some don't appear until a while later (after I mod mine and the warranty is gone). but then, the chances of this happening is very small since the card is solid state... I may be up for mods later on.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 10, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #13 of 27
If you are paranoid, just give the card at least a month of burning in before attempting any mods. If it makes you feel any better, you should've seen how hacked up Iron_Dreamer's last RME PAD was. And it was still kickin.

The RME cards are built very solidly, so much so, that I had to cut pretty deep to completely sever some of the traces for the bypass operation.

-Ed

May 10, 2004 at 5:47 AM Post #14 of 27
hehe, I'm just being paranoid. very paranoid.
evil_smiley.gif

as long as someone more skilled than me is doing it (I have had zero experience with soldering... though I have been thinking of getting into it recently so that may change soon.) it should be fine.

May 10, 2004 at 5:52 AM Post #15 of 27
As I was packing up the EMU today, I did a test fit of the opamp adapters, and unfortunately, it seems they will be very, very close to each other laterally, if not touching, which would make it hard to remove opamps from the sockets to swap. Anyway, I think once I do get my replacement card I am going to put on the LT1364 Jude mentioned in another thread. It is a dual-channel chip, so no adapters needed, and it has some pretty insane specs, better than the OPA627, LT1122, etc. I have read some very positive comments about the sound of this chip on other sites, and it's super-high slew rate means that it should be very fast and detailed. Hopefully it won't oscillate like the LM chips I tried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back