My ears suck
Mar 21, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #16 of 18
/Me feel sorry for your ears!
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2008 at 9:01 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparky191 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could be wrong but, I don't think hes trying to compare WAV vs MP3. But MP3 to LP2 (ATRAC)

I had to convert to wav as the software only plays wavs, the test was really to see if transcoding MP3 to LP2 had a noticeable effect.

From further testing it seems to me that transcoding is noticable with MP3 to LP2 when the original MP3 is less than 192kbps , above that and i had real trouble abxing them.

Atrac3+ 64 is easily abxd, it is really quite poor, vocals are lower in volume , there are clicks and pops. On its own you may get used to it but after abxing it against even 128mp3 (both atrac and mp3 ripped from cd) it sucks (still better than 64 mp3 though)

Mar 21, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #18 of 18
You know, I often feel my ears suck too but I also wonder if it's because I haven't heard a REALLY good rig yet. I mean, I love minidisc too but I don't think it qualifies. I think this is why meets/get togethers are a must for this hobby as you get to try out a ton of gear that you (and I) could never afford, and really get an idea of what this stuff is all about. I haven't gotten to a meet yet but I'm not too far from Chicago so going to one of those could be a possibility for me someday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back