My ears may be dumb...10 days with HiFiMan HE1000
Nov 6, 2015 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dosprompt

New Head-Fier
So, I have been using Sennheiser HD598s for 2+ years and recently had the opportunity to audition the HiFiMan HE1000 with the EF6 amp.  I've had them for about a week.  I have a ProJect debut carbon with the upgraded acrylic platter, speedbox and phonobox.  

Yes, the HE1000s sound good...but thanks to the 4pin input I can have both my 598s and the 1000s plugged in for quick A/B testing.  I must admit there are times where I have to work for to tell the difference, and the 598s blow the 1000s away in terms of comfort.  We're talking about a <$200 headphone compared to a $3000 headphone.

I'm left wondering which of the following is true:

1) The source is the problem - perhaps the turntable does not lend it self to scale to $3K headphones?  Should I be looking at a new TT first (I've been considering getting a Scout).

2) The HE1000s need WAY more burn in time.  I'm probably at 30 hours now.  Have I not witnessed the true potential.

3) Brace yourself....is it all a mirage?  Is it a case of vastly diminishing marginal returns?  I want to be blown away, man.  I want to be floored by something.

What do y'all think?

Bonus question:  When were YOU most floored.  For me, switching from Sony discman factory headphones to a pair of Sony monitors (forget the model).  That was the only time I had the implulse to line up every piece of music I had and re-listen to every one to see what I had been missing.

Cheers

Nov 6, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 3
The improvements over the lower tier headphones, using a hi-fi headphone like the HE-1000, are in detail, quickness, and smoothness from bass to treble. You have to know what to listen for, but in most cases it is about how your music makes you feel and what can gets you to the more enjoyable state sooner.

Personally I did not find the HE-1000 all that engaging especially compared to the HD800.

Nov 7, 2015 at 1:33 AM Post #3 of 3
I think the HEK is the best overall headphone i have ever heard and i have heard tons of different cans....simply does more things well than any other.....there is no perfect headphone but the HEK to me is the closest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back