My E4Ps just broke, looking for new IEM
Mar 5, 2008 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sillz10

New Head-Fier
So after almost 1.5-2 years? my E4Ps broke. I treated them like crap. I played basketball in them, ran, dropped them. Finally what broke the right earphone was a freak accident and a pretty hard slam down the the ground on hard cement. Think there is any way to fix them? The right one rattles when sound is high and bass hits.

My past history is 2 pair of e2c (first one broke cause it was the early model with cord problem) and they both sounded..... well crappy. Very loose and everything seemed to run together. Then I got a pair of ER6i, which I loved (except the cord which was way to skinny, felt like they were going to break). Then I got Bose IEM, sounded like crap, returned and got ER4P. Loved them.

The main things I love about ER4P; overall sound profile, detail, didn't sound like other IEM that seemed like I had an EQ on, that they were NOT around the ear shure kind, the cord quality, the clip, and overall quality of the earphones, and the 3-flange tips.

I have been looking at the new shure series, but i have had bad experience with shure in the past. Their customer service was great, but I would rather have products that were built better.

How do the new 110s compare to the E2c? Are they just a remake of the E2C with slight upgrades? What is the cord like? How big are they? Are there tips that will stay in as good as 3-flanged etymotic tips?

My budget is around 100 dollars. My main question is if the new cheap shures are as bad as the E2c for sound quality, size, fit, cord quality. I usually wore my ER4-Ps down and over my shoulders and clipped on the back of my shirt. Can I do that with 110s or do they only work over the ear? The cable never stays over my ear when I wore my E2Cs over the ear.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #2 of 15
Just get a pair of ER4P's again since you love them, but then get something cheaper for your outdoor and careless activities.

Mar 5, 2008 at 12:32 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by pez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just get a pair of ER4P's again since you love them, but then get something cheaper for your outdoor and careless activities.

I use my earphones 30+ hours a week in outdoor/"careless" things. So its not really an option to be annoyed by 20 dollar earphones for that long. ER4P really held up until they got a whipped to the floor in a freak accident(not even when i was using them). ):

I can't really find many reviews of the newer shures. I'm just looking for a comparison for SE210 or 110 verus ER4P. Kinds of ways the new shures fit and if they are more along the lines of glorified EC2s or more along the lines of EC4s. If its possible to wear them like normal headphones? And if they are more towards the clear and detailed rather than the kinds of headphones were it seems like you have an EQ on when you don't.

Mar 5, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #4 of 15
If you like the Etys, check out the Altec-Lansing iM616s. You can get them for $49 at Amazon.com from third party vendors ($80 otherwise). I just picked up a pair (owned them before but sold them to a friend), and they really sound fantastic and no amp required (unlike the more expensive 716s). Use same Ety tips and filters, because the drivers are made by Ety. No longer made, but still an excellent value. And if you liked the Etys, these are a great match to your tastes.

Mar 5, 2008 at 2:32 PM Post #7 of 15
To me, and I have owned both, the iM 616s are the better optoon for ampless listening, since they are more efficient than the 716s (unless you do the podectomy). Plus, no pod.

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #9 of 15
The Im716/616's are really your only option.

No other IEM company makes anything that sounds like ETY. (according to reviews)

I have owned the 716 twice (pod removed +47ohm resistor in line) and they sounded great. I only got rid of them so I could use the original er4. But for the price, you can't be disappointed and they are the closest thing to the ETY sound- well they are the ETY sound..

Mar 5, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillz10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think there is any way to fix them?

If the Etys are <2years old, why not send them back to Etymotic for replacement under warranty?

I had an ER-4P with Red/Blue cables that broke after 2.5 years (the transducer stem snapped while changing foamies). E-mailed Etymotic and asked how much it would cost to repair it. They issued an RMA number and told me to just send it in. One week later I had a new ER-4P (with the newer black cables, and noticeably thicker stems)

Top notch customer service from Etymotic - they replaced a unit that was out of warranty at no charge! (Though there was some discussion ago about a manufacturing defect causing fractured transducer stems
tongue.gif
)

The only 'bad' thing about having the Etys break, was the acquisition of an Audio Technica ESW9 while waiting for the Etys to return back
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

I had an ER-4P with Red/Blue cables that broke after 2.5 years (the transducer stem snapped while changing foamies). E-mailed Etymotic and asked how much it would cost to repair it. They issued an RMA number and told me to just send it in. One week later I had a new ER-4P (with the newer black cables, and noticeably thicker stems)

Ugh, I just did the exact same thing but my set are 5 years old.
frown.gif
Just in time too as I'm getting my first solid head amp.

Jun 24, 2008 at 3:07 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Why not just plug out the faulty driver than replace it with a new one?

Btw, could it be a filter issue? May be worth replacing it before you do anything.

The stem that hold the flang or foam is broken. Filter has nothing to do with this.

And replacing it with a new one is not easy as Etymotic insists that you ship it back to them so they can match the drivers. In my case, it would be close to $100.

Jun 25, 2008 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 15
I have both the er-4's and the im716's - I agree that the 716's are the next best thing to the ety's. If you can get the ety's replaced, why not do that as suggested? Even though the 716's are the next best thing, they are not the real thing and they have stayed on the shelf since I got the ety's. Plus, I really don't like the pod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back