My e2's broke ... Time to upgrade?
Feb 11, 2005 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

500+ Head-Fier
So I took out my e2's after work today to find that the casing of the left earpiece had cracked and fallen apart!
eek.gif
frown.gif

I'm going to be contacting Shure tomorrow about getting them replaced (only about 8 months old), but I was wondering if this might be an opportunity to upgrade to something better.

I like the sound of the e2 overall, and love the design (thick wire, worn over-the-ear, behind-the-neck). I'm considering the e3c, but I've read that the bass is lacking when compared to the e2, whose bass impact I enjoy very much. Is this true? How is its overall sound? Are they worth double the price of the e2? How's their comfort compared to the e2?

I'm also looking at the Ety ER-6i. I know they are very popular around here, but I'm concerned about microphonics with their thin wiring. How's the bass on these? Are they worn over-the-ear a la the Shures? How deep they do go into the ear canal? I've read about some people having the tips come off in their ears, and I'm not too keen on sticking something too deep into my ears, but would like some more isolation than I get with the e2. How comfortable are these things?

Details: Max budget of $150. I listen to a lot of electronica (trance, techno, trip hop) as well as the usual Top 40 stuff (pop, rock, hip hop). No country or rap. Tend to listen to a lot of female vocals. I'm not a basshead, but I do like strong, tight bass.

Lots of questions, I know. Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice.

Feb 11, 2005 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 5
The E3's DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT, have as little bass as people say. It's tighter and more controlled. I upgraded from E2c's to E3's, and I'm very happy. Be SURE to let them burn in, though.

Feb 11, 2005 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Based on you saying that you like the bass of the E2s, I wouldn't reccomend the Er6i. I have both the Er6i and hte E2c and the Er6i just doesn't have the same kick as the E2c. However where the Er6i's lack in bass they make up for in detail.

I have not had any problems with the eartips comming off... yet... I have only had both pairs for about a month and a half.

For the record I like both for their differences and do not think I would part with either. Both offer excelent isolation and each has a distinct sound.
If you want a different sound then get the Er6i's but realize that they do not have the same bass as the E2c.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you.
etysmile.gif

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 5
you arent the first to make a post about the e2c cracking,

Ive read one other, and mine cracked while I was exchanging tips!

theyre actually off to shure at the moment :/

I certainly hope this isnt any implication regarding build quality with shures other offerings, I plan on getting the e5cs for critical and casual listening and the e2cs right now for the gym. But i shure dont want a pair of $500 ear buds cracking on me!

can someone vouch for the quality of build with the e5cs? I like the sound of the e2cs, but the upgrade bug has already hit.

Feb 11, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
can someone vouch for the quality of build with the e5cs? I like the sound of the e2cs, but the upgrade bug has already hit.

haha, didnt you have the e2c's for about 5 minutes?? that must be the quickest upgraditis in history.

the e2c's sure do feel solid, i think (hope?) these are just flukes...3 cracked out of hundreds on the boards...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back