My DT990 Pro Is Bass Light O.o
May 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Yazen

1000+ Head-Fier
When I read the reviews about the DT990 Pro giving people discomfort from the bass, I was expecting something bass heavy.  Behold the DT990 Pro 250 Ohms, connected to a Musiland 02 Monitor.

No track I play yields a substantial amount of bass.  If comparing impact alone, AD900X<DT 990 Pro<A900X.

Is there something I'm doing wrong here?  The A900X has more sub/mid bass, I was under the impression that the DT990 Pro would have A LOT of mid bass.

I need a bass induced headache, help me out 
size]

Musiland 02 powers the headphones amply.

May 21, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 11
I have all three and I don't feel the dt990 pro lacks any bass especially since it is an open headphone. I'm running it with a audioengine d1 to Tralucent t1. I would not consider the dt990 pro to be for bass heads. Maybe you should sell it and buy the dt770 or try another amp?

May 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #6 of 11
I love the dt990 and use it kinda as my bassy can... So yeah... I feel that have more bass quantity then the a900x/ad900x by a lot So yeah... Tps reports... Yeah...

May 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
I have all three and I don't feel the dt990 pro lacks any bass especially since it is an open headphone. I'm running it with a audioengine d1 to Tralucent t1. I would not consider the dt990 pro to be for bass heads. Maybe you should sell it and buy the dt770 or try another amp?

Not a basshead, although I was under the assumption that these would be bassier than they are now.  The only other amp option I have is a Cmoy, though that did not improve matters.

Quote:
I don't feel an open headphone usually compares to closed for punch. In closed headphones the pressure is allowed to build up.

the a900x isn't exactly the bassiest headphone around, to hear the dt 990 pro lacking in bass all around is a bit disappointing.
Though it has a tad more sub bass than the AD900X, they aren't as musical.  The mids are a bit laid back and though treble is emphasized, it lacks sparkle.

I know they are 250 Ohms but they are easily powered by my Integrated Audio, Xonar DG, Musliand 02, Walkman Z, and my HP Pre3.

I'm a bit anxious to buy an amp as the 02 sounds good to me already. 

May 23, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 11
~Bump

Anyone have any input as to whether or not the DT990 Pro has less bass than the A900X?  I've seen several reviews on the web stating that the DT990 yields uncomfortable amounts of bass, yet I'm feeling the A900X has more impact and arguably better quality bass.

EDIT:  I want a reason to keep these lol.

1 - Does not sound as open as the AD900X
2 - Mids sound a bit recessed compared to the AD900X and A900X
3 - Coiled cable is a hassle for me, just enough length between me and the source to create tension
4 - Shoddy build material in places, heck even scratched it with my fingernail
5 - Bright but not lively

I want to hear what uncomfortable bass sounds like!  Why am I not having bass induced headaches?!?

May 23, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #9 of 11
I don't know where you read that the DT990 Pro has uncomfortable amount of bass. If you really want a experience uncomfortable bass, you could use an EQ to add 2-4db to the low end. I agree the coiled cable is annoying and the mids are a bit recessed, but the dt990 pro are also extremely comfortable, have very good tight controlled bass and decent impact. Also I feel the build is a lot more sturdy than the audio-technica models.

May 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
I don't know where you read that the DT990 Pro has uncomfortable amount of bass. If you really want a experience uncomfortable bass, you could use an EQ to add 2-4db to the low end. I agree the coiled cable is annoying and the mids are a bit recessed, but the dt990 pro are also extremely comfortable, have very good tight controlled bass and decent impact. Also I feel the build is a lot more sturdy than the audio-technica models.

I prefer the DT990 Pro on vintage tracks.  For some reason it sounds darker than the AD900X.  A little confusing because the Pro seems to be slightly brighter in general.

Yeah, very comfortable.  I prefer the AD900X pads, though the headband on the DT990 Pro is far superior.

If I can easily scratch the cups with my fingernail, I cannot accept this as good build quality.  Maybe I got a shoddy batch, but its the only DT990 Pro I have available to refer to.

WHERE IS THE LEGENDARY DT990 BASS?  I NEED BASS....

May 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

WHERE IS THE LEGENDARY DT990 BASS?  I NEED BASS....

My original (vintage) DT990 has a very nice bass kick compared to the modern PRO. 
But the modern PRO has more treble sparkle and detail across the whole spectrum.

Out of the two I prefer the original vintage.. I think it used to be their flagship when it came out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back