My DT 990 Pro is fried
Mar 12, 2017 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
So, while listening to music with my beloved DT 990 Pro (250Ohm), suddenly no sound on right ear.
Got them checked with my computer restarts, other souns card, other source... nothing - right ear just dead silent.
Seems like the cable is well connected. the right driver (element) is died.
RMA'd them, have to pay 80$ now on new element\driver, and i've been told that it's very uncommon for it to happen.

I'm wondering - how really likely it is to happen again, and with the same headphones? (I hope not, of course)
What is the cause for this, mostly?

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 5
Also, is there any risk of it happening again on the same headphones?

Mar 14, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Seems like nobody knows why headphones can be fried all of sudden...

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Beyerdynamic drivers seem to have reliability issues. I've just replaced a driver in my DT880s, my friend had to do the same in his DT770s, both 250 ohm - the same drivers with different damping. But I would check the driver first to eliminate cable as the culprit. Dismantle the headphone, take the driver out, if you have a DMM - check for continuity or resistance. Or just connect a different wire to the driver's wire posts to see if it works. 

IF it is indeed the driver and not cable, the most likely reason is that one of the two wires that run from cable posts to the coil broke. These wires are extremely thin. Fried coil is less likely, unless you listened to something like EDM extremely loud. Distortion/clipping at high volume can fry a driver, although that more often happens to tweeters in speakers.

I'd guess that the same thing happening again is possible but less likely if it's the thin wire connecting posts to coil, more likely if you pushed your sound card below its limits and clipping damaged the coil (unless you change your listening habits). A different component failure can also occur, obviously. Things break.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back