My dog ate my IEMs.
Jan 18, 2009 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

NoLimits3D

Head-Fier
This is "more-or-less" copied from the e-mail I sent Future Sonics.

Something very unfortunate happened today. Our puppy (of about 6 months) was unknowingly offered freedom of the house, as someone mistakenly did not properly secure his playpen. To make a very long and stressful story short, he had a bit of "fun" around the house and along with soiling the carpet, found his way into my room and completely destroyed the Atrios that were sitting beyond his reach on my headboard (so I'm assuming he jumped onto my bed to reach them). The left earphone was torn off and completely decimated to a smashed bit of seemingly irrelevant plastic, while the right surprisingly lay intact. What's funny is that the majority of the room appears to have been untouched--only the most expensive object in my room (the earphones) having succumbed to his jaws.

Here's some pics of the carnage:

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

To have something so small yet so expensive be destroyed to uselessness is pretty devastating as I'm finding out. I'd bought the earphones only two weeks ago from Amazon with the vast majority of my gifted Christmas money, and as a student I undoubtedly could not afford to buy another pair to replace them anytime soon.

Does anyone think FS would be willing to provide a little leniency in offering a viable solution? I'm literally lost as to what to do in this debacle of mine.
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #4 of 61
If anything, they'll offer him the chance to buy another pair at a discounted price.

Jan 18, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #6 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by djh01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You expect them to send you a new pair? I wouldn't...

Not at all. I've read the warranty and realize this specific incident would probably not qualify. I'm more in a state of hope mixed with a profound sense of desperation.

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by wuwhere /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This happened to me. My puppy ate my ER4S and Sansa. I sent my ER4S to Etymotic for repair. They could not repair it but offered me a new one at a discount.

hehe. So I'm not the only one.

That's good to hear.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 61
Etymotics sent me a new pair, even though I told them that I broke the barrel while closing my "high end" Altoids tin converted IEM case (converted meaning I ate all the mints then used the case
tongue.gif
)

These are incredibly difficult to repair because the use micro stranded wire with plastic wrap insulation spiraled around them.

I hope they offer you a discount to ease the pain Luck to you, and of course, always remember to keep all headphones and drugs and guns out of the reach of small children and animals.

Bad dog...bad dog.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #10 of 61
I wonder what draws pets to expensive electronics of all things, to destroy them?!

My cousins dog (a Cairn terrier) recently died from diabetes related illnesses, but maybe it contracted the condition from it's long undertaken, if relatively sporadically enjoyed (when it managed to access an item), diet of TV remotes and mobile phones and the like!

It must of went through at least 30 (that's a loose estimate, but they were always having to replace such products) of the above items in it's lifetime!

Maybe it's the 'attention' we give these objects, in the animal's eyes, and so when it gets the opportunity it just capitalises on destoying it?! And/or, such a foreign, unnatural, alien device to a pet like a dog or cat, may just be threatening and it chooses to decimate it/remove it?! Or maybe they just taste nice? Who knows. It is curious though!

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:14 PM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry to hear. I'm wrapping up the dangling slack in my headphone's cable right now.

Why did you send an email to Future Sonics? I would be surprised if you actually get a response.

Really? I sent an e-mail regarding how impressed I was with the product and received a personalized message within a couple days from their "Director of Client Services". The message basically thanked me for the kind words and let me know to not hesitate to ask for support if ever needed. It was pretty genial really.

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:15 PM Post #12 of 61
reminds me of a day i bought a new pair of adidas sneakers, and then i went to bed, the next day coming home from school i find the sneaker shreadded, and my dog over it....

i feel your pain, after that i every time i got a pair of nice shoes, i would first show them to the dog and then scare him, so he relates the shoes with fear,

Jan 18, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #13 of 61
so im guessing the driver and internal components were ingested yes?? when the dog returns the components to your back yard be sure to have a rummage and show us some pics of what the driver looks like.
ph34r.gif
tongue.gif

yes im kidding, please dont...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back