my DIY project was picked up by Makezine and Hack-a-day ;)
Feb 5, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

linuxworks

Member of the Trade: Sercona Audio
about a week ago, I started an informal project to stagger hard drive spin-up on my NAS/pc. I designed and built a prototype and wrote some firmware for it. it seems to work, too
wink.gif

first, Makezine and now hack-a-day picked up the story. kind of neat when your stuff gets noticed:

4333430240_718e4a17a2.jpg

Make: Online : SPINmaster, a DIY staggered hard disk spin-up manager

Pre-spun hard drives - Hack a Day

I am going to get some 'green boards' made, I think. if there's interest I can do a group buy. PM me if you think this might be useful for your PC or NAS. (note, it can also switch on/off external hard drives; its just computer controlled relays, after all).

there's a serial management interface, too, so you can talk to the board and spin up/down drives after you've booted (to take drives online to watch a movie or listen to music then spin them down when you're done).

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #2 of 20
Congrats! If I'm not mistaken, I believe I saw something about your S/PDIF switch project on hack-a-day a while ago.

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #4 of 20
your projects are always very interesting and creative
smily_headphones1.gif
i'm glad to see one of your designs being showcased like this!

Feb 5, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MoodySteve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats! If I'm not mistaken, I believe I saw something about your S/PDIF switch project on hack-a-day a while ago.

yes, that's true:

SPDIF switch - Hack a Day

and an early lcdduino was in MAKE, as well:

Make: Online : DIY Arduino LCD backpack

I never submitted articles but I do post my photos in various flicker 'groups' and that seems to be where they look for ideas on what to publish.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hells yeah dude, +100 nerd points

LOL.

Congratulations linuxworks.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 20
thanks, all
wink.gif

as of right now, its actually on the title page of hackaday.com

a few of the photos that are linked now show over 1000 views, on the flicker summary page (that the owner gets to see; others don't get to see how many views your own photos have). I know whenever there's a huge spike like that, someone linked to *something*. I then have to go digging to find out who linked to me.

Feb 6, 2010 at 4:40 AM Post #12 of 20
I saw this on the Maker RSS feed after I checked it out in the original thread. Congrats!

Feb 6, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #15 of 20
Kudos linuxworks, youve had this sort of recognition coming for a while IMO, some of the stuff you are doing with interfacing computers/controllers to harvest limited and task focused/specific functionality for an audience that may otherwise give it a miss is really something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back