My DIY journey, from novice to ???
May 18, 2013 at 7:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ilikepooters

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided to look seriously into getting into electronics, up to now i've dabbled here and there with extremely basic stuff and bought some equipment, but i have no idea how to design and build my own stuff.

Eventually i want to be able to design and build a headphone amp, weather it be tube or solid state, or even both.

Up to now i've managed to build some adaptors that let me use 12v tubes in my Lyr, but that's about as much as i've done, pretty basic stuff and had help from others.

I've gotten myself some pretty entry level equipment, but i reckon it should be enough to get me started.

Variable temp soldering station and a cheap multimeter

Got a few other bits and bobs like wire strippers, solder, flux pen etc.

I'll probably need an Oscilloscope eventually, but i'll hold off until i get a better understanding of what i'm doing.

I've ordered a couple of books so i can start reading up.
Electronics for Dummies: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0470681780/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Make Electronics: Learning through discovery: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0596153740/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully those books should be enough to get me started.

Any other resources i should look at? Remember i'm UK based, so prefer buying from the UK and dealing with UK measurements, don't want to get confused with foreign standards just yet!

I'm hoping to use this thread as a place to keep updating with my progress, stuff that the books teach me to build, so in the end others can use it to see how my journey started and all the stuff i used to learn along the way.

May 18, 2013 at 8:12 AM Post #2 of 2
i see you have the cup o' tae, most important piece of equipment in a workshop
biggrin.gif

fair play to you, I've been lurking about these forums for ages trying to get the enthusiasm up to start some cables......maybe i need more tea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back