My DIY IC experience
May 28, 2005 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dmb367

100+ Head-Fier
So I built my first IC today. First, I went to a pro audio shop in Greenville, SC to get some 2-conductor cable. I ordered some better stuff online today, but I wanted to this build today. And guess what, the shop wasn’t open so the guy just gave me 10 feet for free. After that I went to rat shack and got some gold RCA’s (also ordering better ones online for next build).

Overall it went well, I stopped about 30 minutes in to go to Lowe’s and a pair of wire strippers. I was silly for trying to attempt without them. The soldering wasn’t as hard as I thought, but I still needs practice. As you’ll see in my photos I cut the rubber a little close to one of the signal prong and it turned a little brown when I soldered it on.

Anyways, nothing felt better than plugging these bad boys in and just hearing them work correctly. I’m still smiling like an a*hole who’s very proud of himself.

Thanks for the fun Saturday morning Head-fi. Let me know what you guys think of my work, constructive criticism welcome.
icon10.gif

pics
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/joecha...bum?.dir=/4627

hope that worked

May 28, 2005 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 6
good job, its a great feeling when you make your first cable and it works
smily_headphones1.gif

when I made my first interconnect it was with cheap GQ plugs and cat3 cable. It sounded great to me since I made it and it worked. it couldve been made with tin foil for all I cared and still sound great
smily_headphones1.gif

May 28, 2005 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 6
This is soooooo encouraging. lol

May 29, 2005 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 6
Just an update, they dont sound half bad for wire I've never heard of and radio shack rca's. They seem to be a little more smooth, kinda less harsh (I listen at high volumes).

For those thinking of trying yourself, just go on and take a dive... If I can do this, anyone can (hands shaking violently as he tries to solder teeny tiny wires
biggrin.gif
)

May 29, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Really nice set of IC's! Makes me want to build a set... The DIY itch is bad and is quite contagious.

May 29, 2005 at 2:42 AM Post #6 of 6
thanks! cant wait to get some techflex and do it again.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grasshpr
The DIY itch is bad and is quite contagious.

I had the IC flu for like 3 weeks, and now, ahhhhhh relief....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back