My DIY B&W P7 Breathable Sports Fabric Earcups - Prototypes
Mar 4, 2017 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

P01N7

New Head-Fier
I made a thread a while a go about doing this and then never got around to finishing them, however today I finally found the time.

I wanted a set of audiophile cans but with the ability to use them as a gaming headset now and again also. As the P7 impressions thread shows, these are superb and I certainly haven't been dissapointed using them for gaming either. I did however find that after extended gaming sessions my ears would ache from the pressure with the leather earcups and 'booming' noises from the games that I was playing (Rainbow 6 Siege for anyone interested). I also found that with the adrenaline from playing games (crazy right) my head/ears would get hot and of course this isn't pleasant, it can cause headaches. 

Fast forward several months and here we are. Finally a set of super breathable, surprisingly comfy earcups. For now I'm classing them as prototypes. The build procedure changed from one earcup to the other but they both fit fine, there is barely any difference. Aesthetically they're not great, but they're not bad. They're for home use only as they of course leak sound but that was part of the reason for doing them. Final quality isn't 100%, heck it's barely 50% what I'd be happy with, but for a first draft I'm not disappointed.

This isn't reddit/imgur I know, but who doesn't want a final image first? 

Thoughts

Audio:
Soundstage has barely changed, perhaps a little more open but nothing noticeable.
Bass: There is a noticeable drop in bass, but not excessive. I believe some feel the bass is a little too much on the P7's anyway (I didn't mind it so much), so this I would imagine would be more suitable to those who prefer a little less oomph. Most importantly, an initial one hour test notices a significant lack of pressure from bassy explosions and loud gunfire.
Voice: Noticeably more tinny but clearer. 

Progression

Marking for body/housing 

Body/housing cut out (almost finished)

Body/housing almost there.

Foam markings

We're getting there - Foam and plastic body stuck together. Material pattern cut out.

All wrapped up - memory/neoprene protection foam added - magnets being fitted - Lacking tension in speaker cover

All wrapped up - Front view - There's some excess material - mostly due to the method I opted for with no sewing. 
I did find with the second cup a better method (still with no sewing) which I want to explore further in MkII,III,IIII,V etc...

Being modelled - Do not fear, I saved you all the horrors of my face...

Final thoughts

- The memory foam I used is good, it's not great. I might consider using the special cold to the touch foams you get in mattresses for later iterations. 
- Needs refining in build process
- 3d printer would be ideal for body/housing/chassis part.
- Main material is cheap(ish). A nicer quality material would be preferable for later variants.

Let me know what you all think. Fools errand? (not doubt). Amateur hour? (of course). Head- fi  case, you know it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back