My Dilemma: 280 or 202
Jul 5, 2005 at 9:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

phita23

New Head-Fier
Here's my dilemma. I own both the HD280 pro and the HD202. I like hip hop, r&b, rap, aka the music you guys frown upon
biggrin.gif
Therefore naturally, I like the boom boom of the bass.

I only intend to keep one pair.

HD280
+ overall sound
+ comfort
+ feels like a quality product
- lacking in bass

HD202
+ nice bass.
- not as comfortable
- feels kinda flimsy
- looks cheap

What are some questions I can ask myself, or some qualities I can try to consider, to weigh which ones to keep?

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 12
Hi phita23,

Have you considered:

Blu-tak (edit: aka poster-tak, etc.) modding your HD280s?

-or-

Boosting some bass with the EQ?

It sure sounds like you're in a bind...If possible I would keep both headphones, personally =). Although they were headache inducing, I still miss my 212s sometimes
basshead.gif

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:23 PM Post #3 of 12
1. How long have you been using these cans? the 280 needs quite a bit of use to reach its potential.

2. what are you using to drive them? When I amp my 280's, and give them a bit of bass boost, watch out
basshead.gif
280smile.gif
basshead.gif

These two questions are good places to start. If it were me, I would keep the 280, but I can't answer this for you.

Good luck
-John

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
Hi phita23,

Have you considered:

Blu-tak (edit: aka poster-tak, etc.) modding your HD280s?

-or-

Boosting some bass with the EQ?

It sure sounds like you're in a bind...If possible I would keep both headphones, personally =). Although they were headache inducing, I still miss my 212s sometimes
basshead.gif

Yea, I blu-taked my 280's. I'm playing both of them off my SB Live with winamp EQ on full bass & treble.

I've burned the 280s for about 60 hours now.

Jul 5, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by saab
1. How long have you been using these cans? the 280 needs quite a bit of use to reach its potential.

2. what are you using to drive them? When I amp my 280's, and give them a bit of bass boost, watch out
basshead.gif
280smile.gif
basshead.gif

These two questions are good places to start. If it were me, I would keep the 280, but I can't answer this for you.

Good luck
-John

The 202's have about 5 hours (just got them!)
I don't have an amp.
frown.gif

Jul 6, 2005 at 1:05 PM Post #7 of 12
from my experience, and I believe from many others, the 280 is going to need much more than 60 hours. On the other hand, it will not sound like a completely different can when properly burned, only a better sounding version of the 280 (hope this makes sense.)

I have not done the blue-tak mod, but I still can't believe the bass I get out of them sometimes. I sould mention that I get the most bass when plugging them in to my vintage Marantz reciever.

Hope this helps
-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back