My digital source dilema.
May 26, 2004 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Hajime

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello there. I've decided to change my setup simply because I want to try something new (I do this now and then). I currently own a Meridian 508.20 which sounds amazing. The Meridian has spoiled me. Because of this I'd like to move to something that is at least on the same level as the Meridian if not higher. I've been researching as much as I can and I've narrowed my interests down to a few sources. The two in particular I am interested in are the Wadia 830 CD player and the Audio note 1.1x Signature DAC. Both the Wadia and the Audio Note hold great interest to me.

The Wadia is interesting because of the amazing engineering that went in to it. It resamples to a higher resolution and volume can be controlled in the digital domain. All of this greatly interests me. On the other end of the spectrum there are the Audio Note DACs. The Audio Note DACs interest me because of the philosophy behind them. Basically, use as little filtering as possible and let the information from the CD come out as it is naturally. No oversampling or upsampling.

My dilema is which rout I should take. Should I go with the amazingly engineered Wadia with it's resampling and digital volume control or the filterless Audio Note? The Audio Note should be more accurate to the recording on principal, but that doesn't mean it will necessarily sound "better". Ah, what a dilema.

May 26, 2004 at 9:53 PM Post #2 of 19
Coincidentially I just received an e-mail from Peter Qvortrup of Audio Note who refered me to the essay "Are You on the road to Audio Hell?" at the Audio Note website http://www.audionote.co.uk/. I'm sure you have read this during your contemplation?
I'm not advocating Audio Note over Wadia as I've not heard either, sorry. But FWIW I have encountered more negative reviews of A.N. than Wadia.

May 26, 2004 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hajime
My dilema is which rout I should take. Should I go with the amazingly engineered Wadia with it's resampling and digital volume control or the filterless Audio Note?

I don't think it's right to say that the Wadia is better engineered implying the Audio Note is lesser. They're just two very distinctly different ways of accomplishing a common goal. (cough
tongue.gif
)

You should find local dealers and visit them with your headphone rig. I know this is probably more for your stereo, but at least you can get some idea.

May 26, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 19
I'm a big fan of the Audio Note DACs! I have the 2.1x balanced and just had it modified to remove the filter. Ah, it's great! I recommend the AN DAC over the Wadia, but that's just me. Do a search on Audiogon for impressions of the Wadia sound. Some folks believe it's not great until you pay dearly to have it modified. The 2 times I've heard Wadia it sounded digital and a little bright for my ears. The AN sounds so natural and effortless. And especially on a headphone rigg where the tubes help to add some dimensionality to the headspace. I have another brand of similarly designed DAC in the my headphone system.

May 26, 2004 at 10:53 PM Post #5 of 19
Eyeteeth,

I read Peter's essay and I found it interesting. I personally care a lot more about the emotional response the music triggers with me as opposed to whether it's 'better' or not.

Jeff,

What would be perfect is if I could buy them both and use the Audio Note as a DAC on the Wadia's single outputs in to my amplifier and the Wadia's balanced outputs in to the balanced inputs of my amplifier, then switch between them and see which I enjoy the most. Unfortunately I don't have much money and either of these sources are a stretch price-wise as it is.
[size=xx-small]
Edit:[/size] By the way, this source will be used purely for my speaker setup. My headphone setup uses a computer as a source due to convenience and the fact I like speakers much, much better.

May 26, 2004 at 11:07 PM Post #6 of 19
Check out the Audio Aero Prima DAC 24/192 on audiogon for 1350.00 this is the DAC used in the Audio Aero capitole MKI not MKII. But still very good. Should surpass your Meridian. You will need a transport and decent digital cable though.
This is not the DAC used in there entry level Prima CDP.
Another DAC you might want to check out is the electrocompaniet with upsampling. There is one for 1300.00 on audiogon. Good luck Chris.

May 26, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 19
Tom,

I actually inquired about the Prima and it's been sold.
frown.gif
I'll read about the electrocompaniet. It certainly looks cool, regardless of how it sounds.

Budrew,

Thank you for your comments! The DAC I'd go after is the 1.1x (maybe Signature). The 2.1x looks awesome.

May 28, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 19
Anyone else want to give some advice? The Wadia looks nice just in terms of being a one-box solution, but it is an older player. The Audio Note is newer and simpler.

May 28, 2004 at 12:20 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Eyeteeth,

I read Peter's essay and I found it interesting. I personally care a lot more about the emotional response the music triggers with me as opposed to whether it's 'better' or not.

I thought that was what the article was about, emotion.

"only if it is dedicated to high contrast reproduction - can it hope to recover the uniqueness of any recorded musical performance. Only then can it possibly achieve for the listener an emotional connection with any and every recording".

I'd pick Wadia over Audio Note but also newer over older.
evil_smiley.gif

May 29, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #10 of 19
Hajime,

I am afraid you need to listen to both players and decide yourself as both technology definitely have a distinct sonic fingerprints.

I very much doubt if you like one way, you'd like another.

The only upsampling DAC I am keeping my eyes on is Nagra's DAC1. so far, every single upsampling DAC or CD player I have tried did lousy in timing and pace. They all seem to lean towards smooth open aetherial trebles which I find somewhat boring but they are welcome change from your usual digital constipation.
biggrin.gif

When you say you are interested in more of 'emotial' responce from the music playback, how you get there is too broad of a question for anyone to answer unless those whom share your sonic and music preference as well as have a similar system as yours.

May 30, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #11 of 19
Kuma,

I wish I had the luxury of buying both and comparing them. Unfortunately, due to my lack of money I don't. I think what I'll do is let time decide and go for the first that pops up. If I dislike the one I go with I can always sell it as both are fairly popular.

May 30, 2004 at 12:19 AM Post #12 of 19
Hajime-
You're located in Chicago - have you ever listened to Naim at ProMusica? If not, it also might be a different flavor that might appeal to your emotional trigger. Some people hear Naim and it just hits the buttons with them.

May 30, 2004 at 12:25 AM Post #13 of 19
Zimmer,

I have reservations about going in and listening to equipment when I know I'm not going to buy it from that store. The Naim does look pretty cool, but it's special connectors would be a pain in the butt regardless of its sound. Also, I don't know if it'd be an improvement over the Meridian I already have. The Wadia and Audio note may offer more.

May 30, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Zimmer,

I have reservations about going in and listening to equipment when I know I'm not going to buy it from that store. The Naim does look pretty cool, but it's special connectors would be a pain in the butt regardless of its sound. Also, I don't know if it'd be an improvement over the Meridian I already have. The Wadia and Audio note may offer more.

Understood. But you are a potential customer and they at least used to have used pieces from time to time ( its been a few years since I've been there). Just go in on a slower week day talk to them. DIN to RCA cables exist. You really would let the connectors stand in the way - regardless of its sound???? I own an older Naim unit now and formerly owned a 508.20. I have friends who prefered the Naim to the Meridian. I liked both and they were abit different than each other. You are approaching a level where things are not widely "better" than another piece - the differences are either small to some people or so based on personal preferences that they really cannot be argued. Frankly, you might have a very, very suitable source for the rest of your system and you might end up spending time and money in a lost cause.

May 30, 2004 at 1:21 AM Post #15 of 19
Zimmer,

If it sounded amazing I wouldn't care at all about connectors. Maybe I'll go down there next Saturday and see if they have any Naims available to listen to. I may be able to get a used Naim with it's upgraded power supply and stay within my budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back