My daughter broke my WS99. Replacement suggestions?
Nov 9, 2015 at 10:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gr4474

100+ Head-Fier
Audio Technica WS99 are made a little cheap.  They broke at the swivel when dropped to the floor. There is only a tiny screw that holds it all together there at the swivel.  My other daughter dropped them a while back, and one side fell apart, but thank God nothing actually broke that time, and I was able to put it back together. The screw is so tiny that it popped out without stripping the plastic threads. This time, a piece of plastic shattered.  I paid $180 for these, but they are $130 now on amazon.  I'm going to check with AT to see if they will send me the part that broke.  For now, I'm thinking about buying the HyperX Cloud headset, but what would you recommend as a WS99 replacement? 

edit: I loved the sound of the WS99.  Clear mids, highs, and DEEP bass...just like people said.  I want something similar in sound quality, with the most comfortable ear pads, and more durable.  The stock WS99 pads killed my ears, so I replaced them with HM5 pads.  Fits loose, but I can wear them all day.

Nov 11, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2 of 2
I had these for about an hour before the right side stopped working (shout-out to buying the cheapest used option on Amazon and receiving headphones rattling around in a box with no padding) but during that hour I loved how articulate the bass was compared to the ATHM50s I've had for a couple years. Except for feeling, and evidently being, a bit more delicate, the WS99 seemed to be in every way a step up from the M50. So I don't recommend those. Probably the big basshead thread would be a good place to find a replacement, as the WS99 definitely qualifies. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back