My DAP w line out
Oct 19, 2006 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
So i was searching for a current DAP with digital or line out to go next step above regular headphone out.
Then i realized i own an original Nomad Jukebox 6g with line out.
Works just fine and i can do a HDD upgrade.

Wondered if it is worth it to upgrade the HDD and use it for it's line out capability.

What yall think?

Also, any suggestions on a new DAP available now with Digital/SPDIF out or line outs?

I realy want to do SPDIF to go the rout of DAC and AMP but will do other setup if i have to.

Thanks

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:37 PM Post #2 of 4
The iriver H1xx (or iHP-1xx, for the older designation) series seems to be the only DAP with optical out. That's one of the reasons I've kept it for so long, and is the primary reason I finally joined this forum: to find out about external portabl DACs that will work nicely with it.

The Nomad Jukebox sounded pretty decent as I recall. It's been a LONG time since I purchased my iriver H120 and gave my original Nomad to my stepdad. Not sure what he did with it, but with Rockbox on my H120 and XBMC on my XBox connected to my music collection on my Linkstation, I really have no use for the thing anymore. I do recall liking the sound quite a lot, though, at the time.

Oct 20, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 4
calcajun says:
Quote:

Wondered if it is worth it to upgrade the HDD and use it for it's line out capability.

God, that thing was slow, noisy, hard to navigate and would shut down if you moved it at all. (I was using the Mac software). I don't think its a good idea. Sorry.

Oct 20, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 4
if you get an iRiver iHP-120 and upgrade the hdd to the current single platter 30gb toshiba hdd or get and iHP-140 and upgrade to the current double patter 60gb or 80gb hdds you will notice they make less noise then the stock hdds and respond faster and use less battery power. plus you get the digital line out and the ability to RockBox it and load them up with FLACs
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back