My DAC isn't giving me consistent volume.
May 16, 2007 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jun41

100+ Head-Fier
I've had my MD-10 for awhile, no complaints and it sounds amazing. It made my PPX and my 650s sound great and I could barely listen to anything with the dial above 12:00. But now I can bring it all the way to the max and it is not even anywhere close to how loud it used to be. I'm stumped and very frustrated since I like to listen to my music LOUD.

So basically, my volume has been annoyingly weak and I want it fixed.

My setup goes something like:
Computer->usb->md-10 ->rca -> amp -> headphones

FYI: the texture nob is turned all the way as well...

Any suggestions? What the heck is happening here? This happened as well with my aliendac that I had for awhile too.

May 17, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 6
I assume, since the MD10 has buttons to control output levels, that you mean the amps volume knob when you say dial?

If so, have you tried taking the MD10 out of the chain, to make sure that the problem doesn't lie elsewhere?

Next, I assume you have checked all the volume levels on your computer to make sure that they are set to max?

Also, have you checked the db output levels of the MD10?

May 17, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #3 of 6
When I used to run my amp out of my computer straight from the headphone jack, the volume was very low. The first time I plugged in the MD-10 I almost blew my ears out because I was not expecting that kind of volume.

The db output levels on the MD10 are the same, the volume levels on my computer don't control the volume that goes into the DAC so they shouldn't even matter.

Interestingly, when I switched tubes when the volume became weak, the volume went up again, but went back to being what it is now in a short amount of time.

May 17, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jun41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interestingly, when I switched tubes when the volume became weak, the volume went up again, but went back to being what it is now in a short amount of time.

Well that sounds like it could be a problem with the amp then. You might want to try a different amp if you can get a hold of one.

May 17, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #5 of 6
Nevermind, I got it.

It turns out that the DAC works from whatever volume my computer is on when I turn the DAC on. Once I turned the volume all the way up on my laptop, the volume came back.

Praise the head-fi gods!

May 17, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by jun41 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nevermind, I got it.

It turns out that the DAC works from whatever volume my computer is on when I turn the DAC on. Once I turned the volume all the way up on my laptop, the volume came back.

Praise the head-fi gods!

Ok, good news. Thought it might be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back