My customized HD580 :D
Feb 20, 2006 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

deaconblues

500+ Head-Fier
I was recently the lucky buyer of a $75 pair of HD580s that recently went up for sale here (bought it 15 minutes after it got posted :p ). However, at $75, it pretty much goes without saying that the HD580 is going to have some issues. I was able to deal with the following problems on this pair: It had a flattened headband pad (it looks like there was never any foam inside it :p ), no foam covering the drivers, the connection between the right driver and the cable would often cut out, and finally, although it's a standard feature, it had those universally unpopular HD580 grills
580smile.gif

For the headband pad, I used a beyerdynamic pad that I had lying around from my Grado days. I had intended this to be a temporary fix until I could get a genuine Sennheiser pad, but it turns out that I like the look, and I'll probably just end up keeping it there. I cut some cloth off the front of an old speaker and used it to cover the drivers. However, if I can find any really thing foam like what Sennheiser uses, I'd like to use it instead. I dealt with the cable connectivity issue by hard wiring some starquad to the drivers. Finally, there's those darn HD580 grills. I was disappointed to read a thread in which mentioned that Sennheiser no longer stocks HD600 grills. So, I decided my best option was to paint the plastic HD580 grills. I was actually sort of inspired by a recent thread about painting the K1000's grills. I went to Walmart and grabbed a can of red spraypaint which was specifically meant for plastics. After a couple hours and a several coats of paint, it looks a lot better than than it did with the boring grey grills (at least to my eyes). That red really matches well with the black.

And now, the pictures
580smile.gif

HD580-1.jpg

HD580-2.jpg

HD580-3.jpg

HD580-4.jpg

Once I manage to find some thin foam for the drivers, and some heatshrink to make the recable look professional (currently using electrical tape where there should be heatshrink), my bargain HD580 will surpass whatever former glory it may have had
biggrin.gif

edit: Replaced the Beyer pad with a new Sennheiser pad, and painted the headband black
580painted.jpg

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 30
Awesome job, do you think spray paint or even an air brush like a sata would work on the metal grills? The 650s I bought have chipped grills so I would like to do something along the lines of what you did.

Feb 20, 2006 at 12:58 PM Post #4 of 30
I dare you to post a picture of those on your head
very_evil_smiley.gif

Btw good job on the custom restoration!

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #7 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
that looks nice! the beyer headband looks like it was made for them
smily_headphones1.gif

x2. The grills came out pretty nice as well.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 30
I like it too... makes the HD580s look less stodgy and more fun (although I like the look of the original grilles as well).

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by EdipisReks
yeah, they sure did. i'm guessing that krylon fusion was used; that stuff is pretty great
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah that stuff is pretty awsome. I used it once to paint the CD Burner and DVD drive bezels on my computer and when it was dry they looked like they came from the factory that way.

Feb 20, 2006 at 4:49 PM Post #12 of 30
Thanks for all the positive feedback on what I've done so far. It really encourages me to go and finish up the recabling work. If you want to use a Beyer headband on your Senn, it's a good idea to remove the Sennheiser pad first. Otherwise, it will be an extremely tight fit. As for the paint, it was indeed Krylon Fusion
biggrin.gif
. I couldn't really offer much insight on painting metal grills though, since I've never tried it. My biggest concern would be clogging the smaller holes on the HD650 grills. I wasn't too worried about the HD580, since its holes are huge, and Krylon Fusion doesn't seem to be a very thick liquid.

To the DIY recablers out there: where can I find good heatshrink and sheath material for the starquad? That's the only final touch it needs to be complete.

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:05 PM Post #13 of 30
[size=small]I think we're all glad you never painted your Grado's red.[/size]

Feb 20, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 30
I have some 580 grills doing nothing. I might get some of that paint and spray them, a nice pearlescent blue perhaps?
eggosmile.gif

Is one can enough?

Feb 20, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #15 of 30
A single can of spraypaint is waaaaaay more than enough for those grills. You'll have plenty left over to spray many many more pairs of grills. However, make sure you get a paint that is made to bond with plastic. Using just any old spraypaint may end in tragic results.
tongue.gif

edit: Now that I've tried this, I'm tempted to post a WTB for somebody's unwanted HD580 grills to try some braver experiments with paints that may not work as well
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back