My continuing quest for good canalphones
Mar 4, 2005 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Perel

New Head-Fier
Well, I tried out some ER4Ps. Ended up sending them back because I just couldn't deal with how the cables stick out, and they got ripped out of my ears too easily. I loved the sound though.

I'm probably eventually going to end up with some Sensas or UEs. As a stopgap, though, I just couldn't go back to something non-isolating so I got a pair of EX71s. They're muddy and just generally.. yucky after the Etys, but WAY more comfortable and wearable than the Etys ever were. I love the cord, including the short cord + extension cable. It's a good length, too. All in all, I'm happy for a $30 pair of headphones, but really want something better.

Since I really like the EX71 style ear flanges, I'm thinking about the E3C. Is there anything else I should be considering? I'd like to stay within the $250 or so price range - the $220 ER4Ps were about what I'm going to be paying right now. If there's a good reason I should consider paying more, though, it might be possible. (Although if I was really ready to drop almost $1K, I'd already have Sensas or UEs.)

Mar 4, 2005 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 9
If you're thinking of top $$ canals, why waste any time? Just buy them.

Every time a canal headphone thread comes up, I throw in "I'm very happy with my Future Sonics EM3's ($99) and the ETY extra large yellow foamies. For the price and portability, great for me. Personally, I could care less about the tan color or opinions of how they look. Sound is what is important anyways.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #3 of 9
Stax SR-001 Mk II should be a consideration if portability isn't. Basically, as an electrostatic earbud/canalphone-type-thing, they will require you to lug an amp around at all times, even though said amp is very small. Sonically, they're superior to the ER-4P, and may even compete with Sensaphonics, but don't quote me on that, as I've yet to hear anything custom-molded. They don't quite have the treble extension or crispness of the Ety's, but they are much richer, fuller, and bassier, and are also pretty similar in detail. They're non-isolating.

Comfort-wise, I find them a bit easier to wear than the ER-4P/triflange. They have softer tips and irritate your ears less, though they're also larger, and stretch your ear canals more, so over long periods of wear, your ears do get sore. Ety's with foamies are more comfortable, but I personally don't like foamies, as they're easy to yank out and have to be continually replaced.

www.audiocubes.com has them for $239.

Otherwise, don't experiment with lower-end phones, and go straight for Sensaphonics/Ultimate Ears. Your wallet will hate you, but you know you'll never stop wondering "what if?" until you have them, so if you have the funds, go for it and don't look back.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 9
Keep the EX71 for now, and then audition a pair of Shure E4's when they come out. To me they were the ideal canalphone. Excellently small, great tonality and soundstaging. They made my pants tight.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:27 AM Post #5 of 9
I feel your pain - I'm still torn between unamped SR60s (and just accepting "this is my ultra-portable setup and won't sound absolutely top-notch) and also can't decide if I like the sound of these ER4S canalphones yet...
rolleyes.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 9
I've had the westone um2 for a couple of days now and it might be good for you. The sound is a little recessed and the highs are not quite as good as the ER-4 but the midrange probably equals the ER-4 and the bass is better (or at least more) so all in all I would say that, as an ety lover, the um2 is definately better than the shure e5. The advantages are that it doesn't stick very far out of your ear, cable noise is much lower (it has a nice flexible teflon coated cable) the cable goes behind your ear so it won't get caught. I think the thing that made me want to switch from etys is the same problem you are having, they sound amazing for the price but it seems like the were made for stationary use and ergonomically, they aren't that great in portable situations.

Bottom line, the westone um2 is ergonomically superior and myself and a number of other former ety users like the way it sounds.

Mar 5, 2005 at 12:43 PM Post #7 of 9
If you like the EX71 fit, you can always try the Qualia variant which is much better
k1000smile.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Perel
..sniip
Since I really like the EX71 style ear flanges, I'm thinking about the E3C...snip

That was exactly my reasoning for going to the E3. I had the Ex51's, with poor sound but comfortable fit. The E3 has similar soft grey sleeves and are easy to insert, like the EX51. So, thats true, but I found the E3 has so much better sound with the firmer seal of the foam tips or triple flanges.

...ollowing the canal holy grail: Koss the slug, EX51, E2, E3, Er4P/S, E5

Mar 5, 2005 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 9
the sharp md33s feels about the same as the sony. the eartips are nearly the same size, but they sound better. soure, they have not high-end ety sound, but they sound better than the ex71 and don't cost too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back