My conclusion so far -> best combos for eargasm!
Mar 27, 2004 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

daffa

Head-Fier
Just to share with many HeadFiers. After reading many posts here and doing some A/B I have conclusion of some of the best combos (amps plus headphones) out there for total eargasm :

1. RS1 with Gilmore/Ear+ (less than $1000)

2. HD600 with Blockhead (around $3000) and PreHead (slightly above $1000)

3. R10 with Emmeline HR2 (way above $3000)

4. CD3000 with HR2 for solid state amps and MPX3 for tube based (those are around $1000) and slightly below is with EMP, MicroZotl and modded XCan V2 (less than $1000) with good tubes

5. W1000 and W2002 with Carlo modded Sugden Headmaster (slightly less than $1000) and the Audiotechnicas only good with solid state amplifiers

6. Grado HP1/2/1000 with Carlo modded Melos Gold Reference SHA-1 (more than $1000)

7. Beyerdynamic DT880 with Gilmores.

8. Portable : LaRocco Pocket Reference with the Etys?

These are my conclusion so far for those seeking a combo to reach audio nirvana. What do you think? Don't you think they will be comparable head to head in terms of sound with Senn Orpheus and Stax OmegaII which cost more? Or with the CaryAudio 300SEI with good headphones? Perhaps you can add more combos to help people here find the best reference in headphone listening.

I have not listed some good headphones and amps those I have not had a chance yet to auditioned them such as the Etys ER4S/P, HD650 and the PPAs.

I also don't put the sources and cables since I think those gears will only strengthen and not change the characteristics of these combos. Any comment?

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 39
Quote:

I also don't put the sources and cables since I think those gears will only strengthen and not change the characteristics of these combos. Any comment?

If you are thinking about synergy, I think it is important to regard it as a whole rather than parts. Even better sources and cables can have detrimental effects to synergy.

I like the idea of recommended pairings of headphones and amps but for the above reason no one should consider any list exhaustive. There are many possible combos to lead to musical satisfaction.

Quote:

2. HD600 with Blockhead (around $3000) and PreHead (slightly above $1000)

the Sennheisers sound good with a ton of amps, too many to list, and my favorites including tube amps

Quote:

3. R10 with Emmeline HR2 (way above $3000)

I don't care much for this combo. I prefer the Singlepower tube amps.

Quote:

5. W1000 and W2002 with Carlo modded Sugden Headmaster (slightly less than $1000) and the Audiotechnicas only good with solid state amplifiers

The W2002 sounds fantastic with the MPX3.

Quote:

6. Grado HP1/2/1000 with Carlo modded Melos Gold Reference SHA-1 (more than $1000)

The HP-1000 likes Gilmore amps too.

Quote:

Don't you think they will be comparable head to head in terms of sound with Senn Orpheus and Stax OmegaII which cost more?

Not necessarilly.

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 39
What? No AKG K1000??? BAH!!!

Try the AKG K1000 with TUBES (just about any reasonably powered SET tube amp, or one of the Fishers will do nicely), and report back.

There is no substitute!!
k1000smile.gif

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 39
Here are my picks and all IMHO of course :

1. RS1 with RA-1, perfect combo?

2. HD600 with Blockhead , The blockhead is the very best amp for these headphones.

3. R10 with Cary CAD-300SEI, my favorite but I haven't heard them with lots of amps.

4. CD3000 with MPX3, not a big fan of the CD3000 but they did sound pretty good with the MPX3 with pricey upgraded tubes.

5. W1000 and W2002 with Carlo modded Sugden Headmaster! I hated these with all other amps regardless of price.

6. Grado HP-1000 with Headroom Max reference version. This was the best I hear these headphones sound.

7. Beyerdynamic DT880 with the Prehead, Jan's amps and Beyerdynamic headphones are soul mates!

Mar 27, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 39
1. The source is the #1 factor in the system. It decides how your music is presented more than the amp or phones.
2. HD650/Singlepower SDS
3. HP1000/Singlepower SDS, or Supra
4. CD3000/ ASL OTL32
5. HP1000/Gilmore V1

Mar 27, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #7 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
1. The source is the #1 factor in the system. It decides how your music is presented more than the amp or phones.

Amen. Amazing we'd even talk about this without talking source. I don't agree that sources and cables will only strengthen and not change the characteristics of these combos. Source is huge.

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #8 of 39
source will make the biggest impact in system sinergy and overall audio bliss. a r-10 and hr-2 combo won't get you near if it's fed by pcdp now would it? my current setup has left me in pure audio bliss the last couple months, fending off any upgradtis itch. the setup is bel canto dac2- voodoo reference- xp-7- sony cd3000. may sound a little couloured to some, but who cares? i love it, and that's all that matters.

Mar 27, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by sacd lover
HD650 with Gilmore V2-SE/ V1.

Earl, I second that.

You know how I wasn't too into the dt-880's, well thats because I was made for the 650's!! I went to an audio store the other day, brought my gilmore, and they let me demo rs-1s, 650's, 600's, and it was awesome. At first it was a battle between the rs-1's and the 650's, but the rs-1's with a gilmore gets to sound pretty fricken bright sometimes and that just wont do.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, the gilmore amps really bring the 650's to life!

Grado's also sound excellent with the gilmore!

Mar 27, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 39
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
2. HD650/Singlepower SDS
3. HP1000/Singlepower SDS, or Supra
4. CD3000/ ASL OTL32
5. HP1000/Gilmore V1

absolutely spot on!
the source is the main factor in enjoying music. i never heard a difference that big as with a very good source. i also found out myself that there is not really that big a difference in amps. (well in a certain pricerange). the biggest step is from a modest or reasonable source to a really good "high end "source.

if you have a very good amp and a very good headphone, a bad source will not get you anywhere. replace source first.
wink.gif

1) top end stax
2) hd 650 with (any) good amp. preferably tube amps.

Mar 27, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #13 of 39
I agree that your source is the heart of any system, and any kind of evaluation without one would be incomplete at best. But I feel that how well your source/amp/hp/cable combo are matched is the most important, and trickiest part to putting together a good hp rig. In other words, each individual component should enhance the strengths, and neutralize the weaknesses of one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back