My comparison between Todds/Grado flats and Grado Bowls
Jan 20, 2005 at 11:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

RnB180

Member of the Trade: RnB Audio
I got my flats today, and imediately removed them from their packaging and installed them. Good Bye Bowls!

First things first, Bowls are gone these are my new pads indefinately, I prefer this sound over the bowls. Both pads have weaknesses and strengths. I will try to describe the differences best I can.

These pads are being used with my Grado SR-80's

One of the major draw backs to the bowls were the greatly enhanced sibilance. Top end sizzle was very apparent. These would be the equivelant of Klipsch speakers in the home theater world. efficient but bright.

Massive coloration in sound for EVERTHING, except stringed instruments.
Some consider this "Fun" sounding and enjoy the brightness of the Grado bowl sound. Notice I did not call this the Grado sound, but the Grado Bowl sound.

Guitars, violins, harps sound very natural with bowls, passing the Classical music test with flying colors.

but

Vocals suffer from too much top end sizzle, the dread "S" sound made me cringe every time it was used in vocals. So much that the sound was no where near natural but altered greatly in a negative way. I would assume, those with singing backgrounds will know exactly what I am talking about.

Piano music was also very unnatural, too much detail was revealed, during a piano solo, its normal to hear the pedal being pressed subtly, but the Grados enhanced this too well, to the point that a slight "thuck" of the step, sounded like a tiny "clack" and loud enough to distract from the overall enjoyment of the piano session. Hearing the "clack" every 5 seconds made it unbearable to listen too.

So you can imagine me tearing open the Todds Vinyl box and quickly attaching the flats.

The outcome? the top end sizzle is 95% gone, along with a lot of the detail. mid/bass frequecies are greatly enhanced, and the highs are recessed. How much? the highs are recessed A LOT. Almost as if the woofer is next to you while the tweeter is at a distance. Not as imbalanced as the bowls, but much noticeably darker and warm. I would describe the sound as bloomy with the flats while the bowls would be described as sizzle.

These don't even sound like the same headphones, who would have guessed switching foam pads created an entirely new sound.

Vocals are 100 times better, much more real, it actually sounds like natural voices. Its exactly how I would picture a voice would sound running through a microphone. The intimacy is gone, the closeness is gone, but the trade off is a much more natural sound. A REAL sound.

I popped in some classical music, all the detail is lost, stringed instruments are muddier and less defined, with the bowls it sounded as if I was sitting right dab in the middle of the all musicians and they were sitting about 1 foot away from me. Now it sounds like Im in the fifth row, where details is naturally lost in a concert setting. Once again the intimacy is lost with the flats, still sounding more natural, but not as delicate and detailed.

Instead of a "twang" the bowls created... I get a "Thuck" sound with the flats. Its the equivelant of comparing the sound of a violin to a cello.
the bowls would be the violin and the flats would be the cello.

with the piano.. the flats win no doubt, a much more accurate representation of the natural piano sound is exhibited with the flats, I can now listen to piano solos enjoyably, no annoying pedal steps stand out... I just here the warmth of the piano and the notes flowing through the air. Doesnt sound too clean and sharp anymore, but dirty and darker. Characteristics closer to the sound of a live piano.

Those that own Grados and hate the shrill and sibilance, definately give the flats a try, its like buying a new pair of headphones with a $30 upgrade. Its that different. I am serious when I say, the bowls and flats dont even sound like the same headphones.

The flats arent perfect either, but listener fatigue is greatly minimized, the slimmer cushions are also more comfortable then the bowls. Less "Head Vice" feeling and more padded feeling
smily_headphones1.gif
. But I have to admit, with both flats or bowls.. Grado headphone " signature sounds" are not for me. both are far too colored for my tastes, but the flats provide a wider amount of material to get by sounding more natural then the bowls.

I can see why the Bowls are "Stock" since its definately a unique sound signature that provides a lot of detail, while the flats are more of a common sound that doesnt stand out as much.

The bowls can be described as a "staying out on a hot smog-free summer day, but hot enough to get sunburned"

While the flats can be described as a "Cold wintery day, and you're staying home budled up in layers of clothing sipping hot chocolate"

smily_headphones1.gif

RnB out
600smile.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:26 AM Post #3 of 29
I loved the flats when I had SR-80's, but I can't stand using the flats with my SR-325's due to the muddiness of the sound. The enhanced lows can't do anything to make up for the complete lack of detail. However, since the SR-80's are kind of harsh, the flats were a godsend.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 29
I have all the commonly used pads. For the MS-1 I find the HD414 with the vwap mod to be the most natural netural sounding, they don't smear the highs as much as the flats while adding some body and depth to the lows which balances the sound out rather than having distant lows and intimate mids. I've been using the bowls more and more lately though, god I love detail and intimacy, bitting or not.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 29
Thanks for this comparison, it was a very interesting read and most of all quite balanced. I concur with most of your findings although personally I just couldn't stand the bowls at all. Bright, bright, bright. One of my worst headphones experiences was listening to the SR-325 with bowls because I thought my eardrums were getting pierced by countless invinsible needles. However, the PS-1 sounds quite nice with bowls when I had the chance to hear them.

If you like the flats, you could also try to get your hands on a pair of modded Sennheiser 414 pads or sometimes called "vwap pads" or "vwaps" named after the headfi user vwap who used the 414 pads, drilled properly-sized holes in them and dyed them black. Very comfortable compared to the sand paper flat pads.
biggrin.gif

You can also just mod the 414 pad yourself and name them RnB pads.

Jan 21, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 29
You have confirmed my exact impressions. Great pads, aren't they? Now toss aside the classical and listen to some rock on these pads!!

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #7 of 29
ive read that the difference between the sr-80s and the sr-60s is bass response, the sr-80s have more prominant bass then the 60's, Im wondering if I couldve saved my self some cash and have nice sounding headphones for the price of the sr-60s and flats, instead of coughing up an extra $25 for the sr-80s

anyone else combo the sr-60 with the flats?

by the way I do listen to rock
smily_headphones1.gif
, I prefer it more through my speakers though, I like the the headphones when I want to hear delicate music. Its brings me closer to the minor details.

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:13 AM Post #9 of 29
I have tried reversing the bowls, but it hurts my ears. there is not way I can have it sit comfortably, its better then normal bowls, but the treble is still too shrill with reversed bowls.

the sr-80s are incredibly bright, while the ms-2s are tamed. so maybe the flats may muddy the ms-2s sound too much?

Jan 21, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda
If you like the flats, you could also try to get your hands on a pair of modded Sennheiser 414 pads or sometimes called "vwap pads" or "vwaps" named after the headfi user vwap who used the 414 pads, drilled properly-sized holes in them and dyed them black. Very comfortable compared to the sand paper flat pads.
biggrin.gif

You can also just mod the 414 pad yourself and name them RnB pads.

what should i use to dye them black? and will the dye affect the sound?

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:52 AM Post #13 of 29
Excellent comparison. I come to the same basic conclusions.

Jan 21, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #14 of 29
personally the shape of my ears dont let me use bowls - they get all squished up in there. the flats rule for comfort and sound for me!

Jan 21, 2005 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 29
I have used both sets and personally prefer the bowls on my 225's especially now that they are burnt in and the sound has rounded out. I just find that for acoustic music they add more texture and air to the sound, although I have my flats waiting on my desk for those times when I want a little more boom, usually for more highly produced, non-acoustic stuff. I dont find the S sound sizzling at all on my phones with the bowls, although that could be an 80 vs 225 difference. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back