my cmoy sounds crappy
Mar 10, 2007 at 6:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

bellsprout

500+ Head-Fier
i was testing the cmoy i'm making, and it sounded really bad. there was a loud background hiss and the sound is uncharacteristically muddy.

i haven't put it in the enclosure yet. i'm testing it with alligator clips, using zvm headphone out and er-4s phones. i know it's running with the zvm internal amp in series, but it still shouldn't sound so bad...

why does it sound so bad? could it be my soldering? or just the parts i'm using? generic 1% resistors, opa2227, etc

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #2 of 5
First of all, you should be using line out.

Next off, you might need to add R5. Otherwise check your ground. The hiss might be caused by these two issues.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 5
well, i can't use lineout because i havent put in the potentiometer yet

i'm thinking of adding R5, but i heard that the way wires are routed affects the sound. perhaps it'll sound better when i make the panel and put everything together. in this case, how should i go about wiring the enclosure?

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 5
Pictures would be nice but check for solder bridges. I made my with generic resistors and it worked fine. The CMOY design really doesn't allow you to twist the signal and ground together so that is somewhat out of the question. Just check your soldering and make sure that nothing is going to the virtual ground that isn't supposed to. Run your amp for a little while and touch the chip to see if it is getting hot. All of my problems with my CMOY were caused by solder bridges.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back