My cat ate my E3C's... need advice on a new IEM
Nov 14, 2008 at 1:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cinecal

New Head-Fier
So my cat chewed threw the cable on my Shure's if you can believe it... it's actually the second pair he did this to. Anyway I'm looking to buy a new IEM and I've been using these forums to do a lot of research and I've come up with a bunch of options. I like the Ety's ER6i, especially the price, but I'm afraid they will be too sterile and bass anemic which was my main gripe about the E3C's. I listen mainly to indie rock but also to harder rock, metal and also electronica leaning more towards ambient stuff. I figure the ER6i will be similar to my Shure's and be ample but I'm thinking maybe it's worth upgrading since I have to buy a new pair anyway.

This leads me to a more midrange IEM and I've been looking closely at a bunch of these. My main contender is the UE triple.5 which seems like would be enough of a step up from what I'm used to and would be an upgrade in overall sound and bass. I also like the Jays q-jays and Westone UM2 and all three of these are in the same basic price range. There is also the ER 4's which look decent and I'm not even counting going back to SHure for the E4C's or SE210 or 310.

I could use some advice keeping in mind my musical taste and also whether I would better suited upgrading to a mid-range IEM or whether a decent entry level (like the er6i) would be fine for somebody who is not a huge audiofile. I listen to my music on IPod or IPhone and all my MP3 rips are at least 192 kbps with most converted from FLAC using LAME at the V0 setting. I want to get the most bang for my buck and I would ideally not like to spend more than $200. Thanks.

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 12
If you're considering Shure again, I'd look for at least an SE310. The SE210 is IMHO only a sideways-grade from your current (and broken) E3c. (The E4c is also worthy; however, it is now rather difficult to find under that model name, and is now sold through pro audio channels as the SCL4.)

The other IEMs in your list might also suit your listening tastes, as well (however, if you're considering an Etymotic ER4, choose the ER4P and not the ER4S as the latter needs a rather big headphone amp to avoid sounding dull and lifeless).

Nov 14, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks, that's good to know about the SHure's. I'm leaning away from them anyhow because I feel like I can get better value with other companies. About the Etymotic's, I'm curious how they feel compared to the around the ear design that I have been used to with the E3c's. I kind of like the idea that they can go into the ear from the front as opposed to having to be inserted from behind around the ear. Not sure if I described this right but hopefully people know what I'm talking about.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #4 of 12
All etys can be worn over ear, the 4P need a lot of coaxing but will work. I would get something with replaceable cables - ety er4, any mid or higher range UE phone, or sleek SA6. I would put it between the SF5 Pro, SA6, and ER4P. Beware fit issues with SF5 Pro, durability issues with SA6, and cable issues with ER 4P (microphonics and over-ear toughness)

For your type of music, 4P might not give you the bass you want, then again you might be surprised. The SA6 and their tweakable SQ ought to be a good bet.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:29 AM Post #5 of 12
Why don't you look for something with a replaceable cable?

That way if your cat gets into mischief again you can replace a $25 cable rather than the entire IEM; that is, unless your cat chews on the buds themselves.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #6 of 12
I am now leaning heavily towards the Ety ER-4p even though I know that they are not great as far as bass is concerned. I must admit I will sacrifice bass for that clarity and treble "sparkle" and I feel like the ER-4P's would fit the bill. I see them on Amazon for $180 and my only hesitation is that the H2's are 50 bucks less and come with the IPhone mike and remote.

The H2's are compared to the ER-4p's and I wonder how close the SQ is. Ety almost makes it sound like they are the same which makes it a no brainer to get the H2's. Has anybody compare the ER's and the H2's?

If you think I'm crazy for going in this direction please feel free to tell me.

Nov 14, 2008 at 4:56 AM Post #7 of 12
The HF2 has no replaceable cable and from what I've read has been more catered to the sound people want with more bass instead of the sparkly shiny sound of the 4P with extreme detail. However, they will be easier to wear over ear and 50 bucks less. Many people have had their 4Ps or 4Ss last them 5+ years and only have an occasional cable replacement. HF2s being new it is hard to say how durable they are, but the ER 4's are very proven on holding up, and if they don't, the customer service guy will probably read your email while in a good mood and fix or replace your drivers for the cost of shipping, almost guarantee if its before 2 years and only slowly decreasing afterwards.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by _PsiFire_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you look for something with a replaceable cable?

That way if your cat gets into mischief again you can replace a $25 cable rather than the entire IEM; that is, unless your cat chews on the buds themselves.

I second this clam if your IEMs are going to be in an environment were there going to be exposed to your cat then its a blessing to have replaceable cables it may save your alot of cash in the long run and allows for premium cable upgrades in the future.

Nov 14, 2008 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 12
Get Westones, Sleeks, Etys, or UEs. I'm just telling you the brands you should buy from not because they sound better, because their cables are user-replaceable. So IF your cut were to chew your cables, AGAIN, at least you can change the cable yourself
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:55 AM Post #12 of 12
i dont think you should get high end headphones at all, if you were clever enough to let your cat do it not once but twice then why bother.

send the e3c back to shure and just claim the cable ripped, they should exchange it, they usually do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back