My Car Setup - 56k = no
Jan 13, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #32 of 38
Backseats are actually quite common for mounting amps, believe it or not. One reason is there is only so many places to mount, and that provides an option of having stuff on the cargo floor. Plus some people feel mounting amps on the subwoofer box is bad for the amp, due to vibration. I don't really have an opinion on that subject, as I don't consider myself an expert. My attitude is just mount elsewhere, just in case.

I didn't install my stuff, because I am quite cowardly when it comes to electricity, but my amp is installed in the wheel holder area, that dips below the cargo floor. I have technically never looked at the amp since having it installed. So its not visible at all. The trade off is I cant make EQ adjustments very easily (but I seldom EQ anymore).

Back when I was frequenting the car audio sites, (coincidently before joining headfi) Image Dynamics was very well praised for providing competitive products at lower-than-expected price brackets. They actually had a horn system for the tweeter in their product range, that mounted below the glove compartment and steering wheel. Some people thought it was amazing. I never heard it though, so I don't know.

Jan 14, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't install my stuff, because I am quite cowardly when it comes to electricity, but my amp is installed in the wheel holder area, that dips below the cargo floor. I have technically never looked at the amp since having it installed. So its not visible at all. The trade off is I cant make EQ adjustments very easily (but I seldom EQ anymore).

Precisely.

If you have an in-cabin wheel well, there is some room in there. Then they sell "fat" side panels that let u hide stuff, and lastly, false headliner, false floor. Sure they cost more, but... will look nice, almost stock. AND hide stuff from thiefts!

EQ, u suppose to use it to "tune" your car, and once tuned, not ever touch it again.

Jan 14, 2008 at 10:45 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Plus some people feel mounting amps on the subwoofer box is bad for the amp, due to vibration.

I doubt it makes a difference. They're being vibrated just as much pretty much anywhere you mount them. Car amps are designed to have the chassis shake. I've never seen isolation mounts like what's used in home audio.

Jan 15, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Swap the Ford Escape for a Mercury Marauder and that package is officially boss.

They make superchargers for the escape...some over at escapecentral.com are in the 5.9s 0-60 range
biggrin.gif

It uses the same 3.0l v6 that either the focus or fustion (forget which) uses so there is a good size after market.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back