my camera: the anti-HD650
Mar 8, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 21
I have started many hobbies, first was computers, to which I still tinker with. I then got into stereo componets, my mountain bike, then photography and now headphones.

Photography "can be" exspensive..it doesn't have to be though. Common misconception is "the more I spend on a camera the better the photographer I will become and the better pictures I will shoot" not always true IMHO...

I started fooling around with photography about 4-5 years ago, learned for me the expensive automatic SLR's were mildly annoying. I went from an EOS 650 to a Pentax P3N, the P3N is manual but the light meter requires button cell batteries.

So I then decided to get into range finder cameras, I wanted to get a Leica but they are several grand. Then I discovered russian cameras, Fed 2, Kiev 4M they are almost as good but defintly cruder but they are some 90 percent cheaper...I paid about 30 bucks a piece with shipping with an LTM russian lens (with a luthane coating). I still go to the Canon when I want to take telephoto shots, mainly because the lens I have is APO, and it is easier just to through a lens on the body and not need an auxiliary view finder
icon10.gif

I haven't gotten into this whole digital camera rage, and don't think I will. There is just something about composing a shot, to film. IMHO you kind of loose some of that magic when you start introducing elctronics and replaceing film with memory cards
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by JahJahBinks
Zoom lense that have the same focal length across a wide zoom range tend to be very expensive.

i think thats a contradicting sentance.

and STILL using a film camera, i can definatley say that a constant aperature (eg 80-200mm f2.8, or 28-80mm f 2.8mm) zoom lens is sooooo worth the cashola.

sort of like a headphone amp that has an even response across the audio spectrum, vs one that drops off the ends.... you wouldnt buy that junk for your ears, why buy it for your eyes.... deaf people can drive, blind people canot..... love your eyes....

Mar 8, 2006 at 5:58 AM Post #18 of 21
I have a Pentax SF1 which is only a couple of years younger than I am. I've taken some wicked pictures with just the stock lens and a Sigma zoom.

I've been thinking about ugrading but I just can't get motivated to go out and take pictures. It's not worth it for me right now.

FUJIFILM FOR LYFE, YO!

Mar 8, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #19 of 21
well I just spent 2500 $ on a hasselblad camera, while i am downgrading to a 400$ setup with headphones.

I went shooting for 3 weeks across country and shot 50 rolls of 120 film. It cost me 900$ to have all the film processed with contact sheets (little tiny prints to look at to decide what to print yourself)

and i want to buy a 4x5 camera.

But i pretty much went all the way with this camera purchase. i got the BEST lens. it would be like getting the orpheus system. you cant really upgrade anymore once you get that. you can get little accessories (like a lens shade, or for headphones, a new cable or something) but that is pretty much the end.

but as for the 4x5 camera, it would be like wanting a second headphone setup. tubes and an HP-2 maybe
tongue.gif

i dont think they are that dis-similar

and as far as yearning for "that concert sound"

i upgrade because i yearn for what my imagination tells me music could sound like.

with photography, im yearning to capture the photograph that lives in my imagination.

the perfect sound, the perfect photograph. neither really exsist....
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP88
My propensity to spend money is far greater with photography than it ever has been with headphones. I have over $3k in photo gear (current value, not original), and right now I'm very close to dropping >$1k on a lens. Yes, that's right. Not a camera. Just a (one, single) lens.

It's a really, really sweet lens, though.
biggrin.gif

I've shot professionally in the past, and currently I have at least 20K in camera gear (15K of that is large format-I have one lens that sells for nearly 3K.) Photography has been a life-long passion of mine, and I still am buying gear. I love good glass - I've owned a number of Canon's L series lenses over the years.

The prices for professional grade dSLR's are frightening- $7K for a top of the line Eos digital body. Way out of my price range at the moment, since I'm not doing it for a living. Then there's the cost of lenses - good glass is very expensive, but that's an investment. Bodies come and go, but lenses are forever.

It's hard to think of a more efficient cash sink than photography, unless maybe it's auto racing.

Cheers!

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:00 AM Post #21 of 21
phew, im glad im not into lens-fi

my top point-n-shoot camera-to-buy-now would be the upcoming sony DSC-H2 or H5 - 2xAA batteries plus image stabilization - not a dSLR though. i sold the DSC-W1 last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back