My Burn-in Plan
Sep 5, 2008 at 12:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Malux

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, I should receive my Denon 751's tomorrow (i hope the comply eartips come in the same day).

In any case, I created an mp3 file to burn them in, and I'd like to get some feedback on my plan. I know I can just play music through them, but I do want to make sure i exercise them thoroughly.

That said, here's the plan:

5 min white noise
2 min silence

5 minues pink noise
2 minute silence

4x30 sec 0-20khz freq sweep (i.e. total of 2 min)
2 minute silence

2 min 0-500hz freq sweep
2 min silence

That's a total of 22 minutes. I plan on putting the Mp3 on a loop during the night for a couple of days. What do you think?

Sep 5, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #2 of 12
I think that would evenly burn in your phones as you've covered the frequency range
smily_headphones1.gif
And listening to them burned-in can save you the frustration of listening to them out of the box which sometimes sounds less than what you expected. But personally it's also fun to be able to note the subtle changes in sonic quality when you listen to your music as the drivers are burned in
smily_headphones1.gif
So maybe check on them once in a while during the process
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by insyte /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But personally it's also fun to be able to note the subtle changes in sonic quality when you listen to your music as the drivers are burned in
smily_headphones1.gif
So maybe check on them once in a while during the process
smily_headphones1.gif

i'm definitely going to listen to them for a few hours before burning in. I'll also check on them from time to time to see if I notice any difference.

I'll post with my impressions of them after i've played with them a while
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM Post #5 of 12
I say no need to go thru all that with balanced armatures. If they change it will be within the first 10 hours on a moderately loud setting with some music that seems to hit all ranges. Your ears will adjust more than the IEM's.

Sep 5, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you think?

I think you're wasting a lot of time that could be spent listening.
rolleyes.gif

This whole burn-in phenomenon is getting way out of hand.

Sep 5, 2008 at 3:03 PM Post #7 of 12
Lol. And I thought I was doing good with only pink noise. Please post impressions
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 12
I got the C700s the other day and loved the sound of them straight out of the box.

"Burn in" may make a difference, but I believe it's got more to do with you getting used to the sound of the earphones than anything else.

Anyway, I'm 99% certain you'll be happy with them whatever you do.

Good luck.

Sep 5, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #10 of 12
I know I went overboard with the burn-in plan, but what the heck
smily_headphones1.gif
Then again, i resisted adding brownian noise. I thought about it and figured, well, it's just noise representing a specific type of noise and is not evenly distributed across frequencies like white and pink noise.

In any case, I'm waiting for fedex to deliver them as we speak. Luckily, the comply eartips came in this morning though usps.

For all ye "just listen to music folks": I will have a few hours with them today before hooking running all the noise through them.

Also, one of the reasons I'm doing all this (by the way) is to see if I can hear any perceptible difference before and after burn-in.

I'll post impressions sometime this weekend...now, where is that fedex truck
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Malux /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, one of the reasons I'm doing all this (by the way) is to see if I can hear any perceptible difference before and after burn-in.

The only way you could realistically conduct this experiment is if you had TWO pairs of the same phones, one burned-in, the other not, and then compared them to each other in parallel (ie/an ABX test).

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #12 of 12
the best way to run it really is to have two sets of headphones like you suggested, then you would have to have someone who doesn't know what the experiment is about (you tell them it's about fit)

then you would get their impressions of the two headphones.

i know what i'm doing won't be scientific, it's the best i can do considering the limitations.

by the way, the 751's just came in. they sound great right out of the box with the comply eartips.

I also have my skullcandy silicones that fit these as well. Bass is AWESOME especially compared to shure se210s. i can't wait to play with these some more.

i'll post a little more this weekend
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back